Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013

wdfunk is on a distinguished road
Re: My Peak Sails Experience

Reporting back on my order w Peak Sails..Received both a 130% and 95% headsail (tri-radial, Warp Drive Dacron) from Peak in less than 30 days since order..overall v happy with the sails. 130% was cut pretty much perfectly (#5 tape), flies beautifully and looks to be made to industry standard. Blade was ordered with 3 battens (almost always in high winds in SF Bay), cut was near perfect for my Hobie 33. Small issue with this was an undersized clue grommet but Chris got back to me v quickly w an offer to cover the replacement at a local loft; he was v responsive throughout the process. For the price, I'm very impressed.

Suspect that a lot of commentary for Peak was from previous mgt., I would definitely recommend them based on these first two sails (assuming you're like me, looking for decent quality Dacron sails, not ubertech race sails).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013

tworeefs is on a distinguished road

My experience with Peak Sails and Chris Stevens has been nothing but enjoyable.

I ordered their Bluewater Cruise mainsail and genoa as well as a custom shaped asymmetrical for my Island Packet 27 and was more than thrilled with the quality of the sails.

I wanted a reaching assymetrical and Chris had a design drawing over in minutes after my call. It wasn't a design or sail that came off the shelf.

My guess is that 90% of more of the sails sold in the U.S. are made offshore. Other than the small handful of independents, everyone else is doing it. The problem is we all want U.S. made sails but very few can afford the premium.

Personally, I could care less where the sails are made. I am happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to use them again.
Old 11-07-2013

windnrock is on a distinguished road

The "New" management is the same as the old. I had numerous unanswered calls and emails to Chris. This is AFTER they took my money. I finally got a reply, not from Chris, not from Art, but Deanna, the lady that receives the sails in Colorado who is the only bright spot in the company. Glad you had good luck but the tirade and cussing I got when finally I spoke with Art Kelly(he screens his calls) it was nothing short of psychotic and childlike. All I wanted were some answers that Chris would not get back to me on. After the "conversation" I canceled the order on my card despite being told I would be refunded. Art is a piece of work. Like I said, both Peak Sails and his previous attempt have "f" ratings with the BBB. The design aspect is suspect as far as it being done by them. Wilfer Sails is a design build loft. I work with Kappa Sails because I trust them with my business. The people ALWAYS answer the phone, they always get back. Heck they even made a sail bag out of different material because Brian(the owner) remembered my wife doesn't like red. Kappa Sails is a stand up outfit with thoughtful and diligent people. I received a call from the loft in Ohio because I had a question about the design, Brian had them call me and they did. He then checked back to be sure I was satisfied! I wouldn't buy a cheap furnace from people I didn't trust for a dirt home, why would I buy sails for my boat from dubious characters? Everyone is free to make their own decisions, good or bad.
Old 11-07-2013

Like I said, my sails from Peak have now been repeatedly flogged on SF Bay..beautiful cut and v well built for the price. Think customer numbers and reports will eventually show the quality of any builder. Like I said, great customer experience w Peak Sails and Chris. Contact me if you want more detail.
Old 11-07-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

Sounds a bit fishy that all 4 of wdfunks posts are in praise of Peak sails. Just sayin'.
Old 11-07-2013

Oooyyvahh..like I said, time will tell how happy customers are with ANY maker...I have not interest in Peak or any other loft,, have used Precsions and a 3 local (SF) makers..suspect though that there's a lot of folks that troll this space to pull down anyone else, then recommend some loft no one has ever hear of..just sayin...if I could get the upload to work on this site, I'd post pics...effin Windows 8
Old 11-07-2013

windnrock is on a distinguished road

I do find it interesting that Chris Stevens blames previous management. All my problems were with him and Art Kelly the "New" owners. All the BBB complaints are in the Art and Chris time frame. All the BBB complaints with Art's prior business (Kelly-Hanson)were his as well. If you wish to go that route consider simply ordering from Wilfer Sails directly. They do all the design and fabrication anyway. You at least save an additional 15 to 20%. To the best of my knowledge, the sails are not quality checked when they arrive here; only repacked and sent out of Colorado. Chris is in Tyson's Corner, VA and Art is in Washington state I believe. They are brokers.
I am glad those of you who had success are happy. Many are not.
Old 11-07-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: My Peak Sails Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
Sounds a bit fishy that all 4 of wdfunks posts are in praise of Peak sails. Just sayin'.
And, if you click on his screen name and look for any personal info like type of boat, location, etc, there is nothing.
Like a ghost.

LB
Old 11-08-2013

Cool Re: My Peak Sails Experience

Walter Funk
Hobie 33
Alameda ca

Get a life or a boat
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-08-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworeefs View Post
My experience with Peak Sails and Chris Stevens has been nothing but enjoyable.
tworeefs, welcome! So how did you come to be moved to join Sailnet and for your first post, praise Peak? This type of coincidence seems to happen with establishments with checkered records.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright