Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013

tworeefs is on a distinguished road
Re: My Peak Sails Experience

I have been visiting this site for years. It is a great place for information.

However, I do not really have the desire to discuss companies and its employees on a public forum. It just seems wrong.

I simply piped in because I had a decent experience with the company.

As usual, anyone that feels differently and does not spend every waking moment on these forums will be labeled a troll just because they do not.

A question. When Chrysler essentially went bankrupt and Fiat purchased their assets, does that make Fiat a "bad" company as well?

It is interesting that the only folks that seem to be ripping on the company are ones that haven't spent a nickle with them.

As far as windnrock is concerned. Obviously, his experience was not the greatest. However, there seems to be a trend developing here. Anytime a positive review is posted, he feels the need to respond to them. And each one is more vociferous then the last. There is probably more to this situation. There usually is.

Guys, do not kill the messengers or private employees of a company who are simply doing their jobs.

You have a few folks with good things to report. Take it for what its worth.
wdfunk and christian.hess like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

Just suspicious that the only ones defending PS are people who seem to have just become SN members and have close to zero posts.
jimrafford likes this.
Old 11-09-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I am the original poster... have many posts on Sailnet... and while I fall short of an unqualified endorsement of Peak, on the whole I'm reasonably satisfied... the product is fully satisfactory, their customer service was less so.
boz86 likes this.
Old 11-11-2013

wdfunk is on a distinguished road

Peak Sails 130% jib sailing on my Hobie 33; SF Bay, 15 kts
Attached Thumbnails
My Peak Sails Experience-peak-130%25.jpg   My Peak Sails Experience-peak-130%25-2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014

tequilajimhart is on a distinguished road

I joined this forum simply for the purpose of posting on Peak Sails. I did this because I did an internet search to see what/if anything has changed since I ordered 2 sails last year. I think with one exception (the guy who actually got his sails inside of 30 days) everything is about the same. Poor customer service and response time, also the sails are about a month late getting to the customer. Last year I made 2 different orders, both late but both good sails.
Both orders were for my Santana 22 which is on GSL here in Utah. I also have a Ranger 33 in Mexico. I'm trying to place another order today for a main and a 120 for the Santana. I emailed yesterday and had a response to the email this morning. I called on phone and emailed both today, but no response at all. I might add that I'm ordering a month earlier than the real action starts and I need the sails. Jim
Old 04-07-2014

windnrock is on a distinguished road

They purchase their sails from Wilfer Sails in China. You can order direct by going to wilfersail.com. You would be on your own but with my experience with Peak Sails that couldn't be any worse. It is actually cheaper to go direct.
Old 04-15-2014
Lake Hack

Clarks Hill Windbag is on a distinguished road

Gambling time: I bought a basket case Hunter 23 that needs jib and main. Peak is $1190 base - would like 2nd reef so upcharge for that, and Precision is $1450 with 2 reef main. Any advice?

The difference will pay for most of the halyards and running rigging that also has to be replaced.
Old 04-16-2014

tworeefs is on a distinguished road

Read through the posts.

There was really nothing that stopped me from purchasing my sails with Peak and did not feel it was a gamble. Ask to talk to Chris Stevens.

The most recent critical post is actually pretty funny. The guy buys to sails from them. Then he goes back to buy two more. His gripe is that his call was not returned immediately?

I bought mine on their SailPay program. Had the sails about the time my second was due which was about 30 days post order.

Of course, you can always order through North. It took 5 months to get the sails and I paid over twice the price.
Old 04-16-2014

tequilajimhart is on a distinguished road

My gripe was not that he did not immediately call back, it was that I still hadn't heard from him 4 days later. Then I got involved with some one on a chat that didn't know anything about anything. I'm retired USN MCPO. Been retired for 42 years now but I have still been unable to learn to put up with civilian BS. I expressed that to her to pass on to Chris and ordered my sails from Precision. I got better service and help than I've ever got from any other sailmaker. I've owned 7 different sailboats and bought sails for all of them. My best experiences so far (I still haven't received from Precision) have been Precision and Minny's. Good luck with Peak! One thing they have going for them (probably the only thing) is price. I can't find anything wrong with the 2 sails I bought from them but it did take 2 months to get them, or there about, when they told me 30 days or less.
Old 04-16-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
The fact that you actually have sails in your posession puts you ahead of many Peak Sails customers who have posted here.

Yep, your photos show sail cloth and sail bags, so congratulations are in order. There's no telling if the cut and fit are correct though. Fingers crossed for you.

I'll not be ordering from Peak. You're the exception, not the rule, I'm afraid.
I expect to be visiting my local Quantum rep this winter for a new, 155%.
Good move..They have great customer service. I have two new quantum sails and they are top notch made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner