Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Anchor Snubbers Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'll have you know young fella that posting pictures of your wonky snubber will be frowned upon by the Moderators.

Now we see why the once mighty USA is in such dire straits. Use a quality Made in the US elastic band you cheapskate.

We use one of these. Can fall off when first setting due to gravity and lack of tension but that is simply a matter of getting the technique right and/or blaming your other half. Has never let us down under load but is easy to remove. I think CD and us use same setup. Essentially a Y shape from cleats either side of the bow rather than through the anchor roller. Only negative with that is possible noise and chafe so you need to have some kind of cover where line passes over the side(s).

Previous boat we had one of these ..... Making sure size matches chain is very important but they work well.

vtsailguy's method scares the pants off me quite frankly. You most need your snubber as the wind pipes up. Whatever method you use it is far better to have the thing fall off occasionally in light winds than jam solid when you are in an "oh crikey" situation.
Dear Furball...

As I have shared with you in the past, please remember I do not speak Her Majesty's English. I speak Bad English and Redneck (with Redneck being one level under Bad English). I never said rubber band. I said Elastic Band. In Bad English we call it a Thingy. In Red Neck we call it a Doolie Whopper. As such, here is our setup...

This is basically two separate lines. One has the Chain hook on the bitter end, a rubber snubber between, then leaves open the loop. On the loop, slightly off center (explain in a moment), is a second line with loop and bitter end.

Why is it off center? Good question (and no, alcohol was not involved, well, it might have been, but that's not the point). Ever get a current running one way and the wind another? Sometimes it makes the boat sit funny. So I use this to try and kick the boat over slightly to one side or the other. It works 'ok', not great, because my cleats are so far forward, but I suspect that if I was really interested, I could run a leader off of one side to midships to present a different angle. Generally too much trouble for me.

To hold on the hook, I use a Doolie Whopper (illustrated below).

Note, some people call this a Watcha-ma-callit. That is incorrect. It is, in fact, a Doolie-Whopper (technical term). This is nice because it keeps the hook on the chain, but gives a bit without snapping when pressure is put on. As you can see, both of these have spent a lot of time under water! However, in a pinch, this comes off very easy.

Y'all let me know if ya have any questions.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

A poxy looking old snubber you have there BBQ and you need a new rubber.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-28-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Dear Furball...

As I have shared with you in the past, please remember I do not speak Her Majesty's English. I speak Bad English and Redneck (with Redneck being one level under Bad English). I never said rubber band. I said Elastic Band. In Bad English we call it a Thingy. In Red Neck we call it a Doolie Whopper. As such, here is our setup...

This is basically two separate lines. One has the Chain hook on the bitter end, a rubber snubber between, then leaves open the loop. On the loop, slightly off center (explain in a moment), is a second line with loop and bitter end.

Why is it off center? Good question (and no, alcohol was not involved, well, it might have been, but that's not the point). Ever get a current running one way and the wind another? Sometimes it makes the boat sit funny. So I use this to try and kick the boat over slightly to one side or the other. It works 'ok', not great, because my cleats are so far forward, but I suspect that if I was really interested, I could run a leader off of one side to midships to present a different angle. Generally too much trouble for me.

To hold on the hook, I use a Doolie Whopper (illustrated below).

Note, some people call this a Watcha-ma-callit. That is incorrect. It is, in fact, a Doolie-Whopper (technical term). This is nice because it keeps the hook on the chain, but gives a bit without snapping when pressure is put on. As you can see, both of these have spent a lot of time under water! However, in a pinch, this comes off very easy.

Y'all let me know if ya have any questions.

Brian
Thanks for the linguistics lesson. But how actually do you use the, ehm, Doolie-Whopper? How does it hold the hook on the chain?
Old 09-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I just use a length of 3-strand tied to the chain with a rolling hitch and then back to a bow cleat.

The angle from the bow roller to a side cleat will often cause a chafe point, as they aren't aligned. To correct, you leave a long enough bitter end (ie many feet long) to tie to one side cleat, cross to the other and then back to the line to secure with a half hitch to pull the snubber to the center of the boat.

Maybe this winter, I will splice up a fancy snubber like everyone else it seems.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-28-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Thanks for the linguistics lesson. But how actually do you use the, ehm, Doolie-Whopper? How does it hold the hook on the chain?
Ditto for me... Also, why? I have sort of given up on them. Is it to reduce noise from a chain scraping the bottom? Reduce or eliminate strain as the boat swings into the wind?
Old 09-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
.....As you can see, both of these have spent a lot of time under water!.....
Why is the snubber hook under water? I only drop mine a few feet below the bow roller, tie it off and then release tension on the chain.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-28-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
A poxy looking old snubber you have there BBQ and you need a new rubber.
Hahaha!!!!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-28-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Just wrap it around the hook and connect the ends. Comes off very easily. Since it is elastic, it will will stretch as the hook takes pressure.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-28-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandria View Post
Ditto for me... Also, why? I have sort of given up on them. Is it to reduce noise from a chain scraping the bottom? Reduce or eliminate strain as the boat swings into the wind?
When a strong wind hits, this acts as a shock reducer. The line (and in my case snubber) make it ride better without putting a huge jolt on the anchor and boat. It also allows you to distribute the load to cleats and get it off your windlass or a single anchor cleat. I would not (and do not) bother with anchor snubbers for day trips or when i know the weather is light. But when i am anchored somewhere for longer periods or uncertain about the weather, it comes out.
flandria likes this.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-28-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Why is the snubber hook under water? I only drop mine a few feet below the bow roller, tie it off and then release tension on the chain.
I like a long snubber with lots of room to accept the shock.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: