Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Snubbers Redux

This looks pretty good as far as hooks go, no? Price is reasonable too....

Mantus Chain Hook | MantusAnchors
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post

Indeed, looks very interesting. Anyone has experience with it?
Old 09-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post

I just ordered one, as it seems like the least likely to fall off and doesn't require a moving part, like the wichard.

I'm going to make a winter project to make a custom bridle. I'm going to dust off my old three strand splicing skills (been a long time) and make a long bridle that will go over the bow roller, down about 4 feet and back to the center of the foredeck. Then I'm going to splice in two legs, one to each side cleat, with a spliced eye to lay over each cleat. It will require some measuring, as the roller is not centered. Theoretically, I would only have to attach the hook fore of the windlass and lay the two eyes over the cleats, let out enough chain to take up the bridle and done. We'll see.

Something to do over the winter. If it isn't fantastic, I'm going back to the rolling hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-30-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Indeed, looks very interesting. Anyone has experience with it?
Yes.

Easy on, easy off. Stays on the chain well, even with sloppy deployment, so long as the hook does not rest on the bottom.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

I've been using the Mantus hook and like it. Doesn't fall off, yet is easy to remove when you want to.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 10-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just ordered one, as it seems like the least likely to fall off and doesn't require a moving part, like the wichard.

I'm going to make a winter project to make a custom bridle. I'm going to dust off my old three strand splicing skills (been a long time) and make a long bridle that will go over the bow roller, down about 4 feet and back to the center of the foredeck. Then I'm going to splice in two legs, one to each side cleat, with a spliced eye to lay over each cleat. It will require some measuring, as the roller is not centered. Theoretically, I would only have to attach the hook fore of the windlass and lay the two eyes over the cleats, let out enough chain to take up the bridle and done. We'll see.

Something to do over the winter. If it isn't fantastic, I'm going back to the rolling hitch.
Update.

My Mantus hook just arrived. We have 1/2" chain and the hook for it is HUGE! 8 inches x 5 inches. That's not fully bad, but I am now wondering if it will go through and over the bow roller. I will have to measure.

My real concern is for the galvanizing. I didn't want stainless, as it should be weaker. That may have been a mistake. It appears the casting wasn't perfect, so someone hit it with a grinder. With it all bright and new, I can't really tell if the galvanizing was ground off or not. If it was, it will rust instantly. Further, its very clear that the galvanizing didn't take well to the raised lettering on the hook.

Given all the compliments this company has been given, I was surprised at the poor quality so far.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Update.

My Mantus hook just arrived. We have 1/2" chain and the hook for it is HUGE! 8 inches x 5 inches. That's not fully bad, but I am now wondering if it will go through and over the bow roller. I will have to measure.

My real concern is for the galvanizing. I didn't want stainless, as it should be weaker. That may have been a mistake. It appears the casting wasn't perfect, so someone hit it with a grinder. With it all bright and new, I can't really tell if the galvanizing was ground off or not. If it was, it will rust instantly. Further, its very clear that the galvanizing didn't take well to the raised lettering on the hook.

Given all the compliments this company has been given, I was surprised at the poor quality so far.
Doesn't sound too good.

Based on the discussion on this group, I also ordered the Mantus Hook but in stainless (I am not too concerned about breaking strength for a snubber). I ordered this a week ago. They seem to take their sweet time about it: I ordered it on Amazon a week ago and it is still listed as 'being prepared for shipping.' Not a problem, I am snowed with work and can't go sailing this week or next but usually stuff ordered through Amazon is shipped within a day or two.

I will let you guys know how it looks like when it gets here.
Old 10-11-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

1. Get stainless. It's pretty and will outlast you.

2. They are VERY overbuilt. Strength is not at issue.

3. It doesn't have to be as strong as the chain--they are rated to G5--only as strong as the snubber, which should be considerably lighter to allow stretch.

4. It will not go through the rollers.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
4. It will not go through the rollers.
If that proves true, it's a deal breaker. No way one can get around the pulpit and reach down to the chain on our boat. Presently, we tie a rolling hitch on the chain coming off the windlass and let it run through.

I may have to return it.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-11-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I saw in the archives a hotly contested thread about anchor snubbers:
What kind of anchor snubber?

No-one mentioned a simple chain hook that screws as a way to fix the snubber to the chain.
Cequent Quick-Link Chain Hook-Up 10000 lbs. 1/2 49135

Wouldn't one of these solve the hook-falling-off-chain problem?
...or you can go old-school: mouse the hook with a bit of tarred marline: waterproof, easy, cheap, fast, removed with one swipe of a good sharp knife*:
http://bowsprite.files.wordpress.com...11/mousing.jpg

*(which you should wear anytime you are on deck):

Top 10 sheath knives tried and tested by CB | Classic Boat Magazine

The Arts of the Sailor: Knotting, Splicing and Ropework - Hervey Garrett Smith - Google Books
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,