Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Snubbers Redux

Sorry, why would you need it to go over the roller? Can't you pull the chain in on the windlass and when the hook gets close detach it? There shouldn't be tension on it at that point, yeah?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

[URL=http://s301.photobucket.com/user/bdmistrot/media/IMG_3026_zpsc7a64c3e.jpg.html]
I use one of those rubber things (it seems the same) on one cleat connected to the chain trough a shackle. I don't trust hooks and I had bent some other apparently more friendly connections. I use also a big swivel. The shackle is pretty easy to take off.

When the wind blows over 20K I use two, one on each side of the boat. I don't pass those cables on the the bow roller. One on each side. I can take on anchor considerable winds without too much discomfort. This year I had been at least 4 days in two occasions waiting the Meltemi to go away (35K on the anchorage).

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I'm sort of between Minnewaska and TQA on this.

I use about 2 metres of nylon 3-strand with a stainless chain hook.

I set the anchor completely done. When it is fully set, I hook the chain hook onto the chain and let the chain out. As the hook goes over the roller, keep tension on the line, pass it around the front and lay it over the other bow roller. Then it goes onto to mooring cleat and the chain runs out until a decent loop of chain hangs below the hook and the snubber line is taught.

I have never in decades of anchoring, had it unhook. And even if it did, so what?

For me it's about sound insulation, not shock absorbtion. If you have your anchor set with the right amount of scope, the catenary of the chain should provide all the shock absorbtion one should need.

When weighing anchor I ignore the hook completely and reel in the chain. As the chain loop disappears, the hook just drops off and hangs there until the anchor is stowed. When the anchor is safely stowed, pull in the snubber and put it away.

It's hard to make this sound complicated, it's too easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-19-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Doesn't sound too good.

Based on the discussion on this group, I also ordered the Mantus Hook but in stainless (I am not too concerned about breaking strength for a snubber). I ordered this a week ago. They seem to take their sweet time about it: I ordered it on Amazon a week ago and it is still listed as 'being prepared for shipping.' Not a problem, I am snowed with work and can't go sailing this week or next but usually stuff ordered through Amazon is shipped within a day or two.

I will let you guys know how it looks like when it gets here.
The hook is here!

As promised, here is my impression: It is a beautiful piece of hardware!

I originally thought of buying the galvanized version but it turned out that S/H on the stainless was free and on the galvanized not, so the price difference was small so I bought the stainless. I am glad I did. None of the problems reported with the galvanized apply to my stainless version. The casting is flawless. And with a WLL of 5400Lb for the 3/8" hook, I am surely not concerned about its strength. It fits beautifully on the chain and seems to hook on very securely.

You can tell I am VERY happy with it, so far.

I put on a good-sized SS shackle on it and I plan to splice an 1/2" three-stranded nylon on it (although Mantus recommends 5/8"; I think 1/2" is strong enough and has more flex). I was thinking of about 15' or 20' long.

Only question remaining: should I make it a bridle or just a single line? I used single lines so far (lead through a chock) which worked fine but perhaps I missed something?
Old 10-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My Mantus hook went back. It was HUGE and would not fit through the bow roller. Between my furler and pulpit, it is not possible to reach around them to attach the hook to the chain in front of the bow roller. You must hook it on the deck between the windlass and roller and let it pay out.

I'm ordering the Wichard Chain Grip next.

My winter project is going to be splicing some three strand into a custom bridle.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-20-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My Mantus hook went back. It was HUGE and would not fit through the bow roller. Between my furler and pulpit, it is not possible to reach around them to attach the hook to the chain in front of the bow roller. You must hook it on the deck between the windlass and roller and let it pay out.

I'm ordering the Wichard Chain Grip next.

My winter project is going to be splicing some three strand into a custom bridle.
Yes, NO WAY this would fit through a bow roller! But it never occurred to me that the hook should do that, I always detached it before it reached the roller, even when I had a small standard chain hook.

Still not sure whether to splice up a bridle or just a single line. May even go one size smaller; I saw the people on Morgan's Cloud use a single 3/8" line for a 30,000 Lb boat, which is more than twice my displacement.
Old 10-22-2013

l_lym is on a distinguished road

Been using the Mantus Hook all summer on our bridle and find it secure and easy to use, generally reaching over the pulpit to unhook once we've brought in some chain. HOWEVER I've never fully considered the points brought up earlier and the need to unhook and move quickly in difficult conditions. This needs some thought.