Two cheapo material questions - galvanized solar/radar arch and ext plywood sole/floo - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Two cheapo material questions - galvanized solar/radar arch and ext plywood sole/floo

Hello all,

Pondering this winter's refit and adding up some costs and then feeling nauseous.

I'm planning on pulling the (damp/very spongy) cabin sole from my Triton and putting in transverse floors + a new plywood sole. I'm planning on doing this with non-marine grade plywood...I was pondering something like this

Everything will end up encapsulated in epoxy. The floors will be glassed against the bilge and the sole will be glass against the hull. It all will be a lot stiffer than what is there now.

Any reason to use Marine plywood? It seems like this will be much stiffer than the original so I can't really figure out why I should.

ALSO

I'm looking into putting an arch on the stern for a fairly wide 100w solar panel, and potentially for a radar. Since my mast mounted VHF is seemingly not working, I was also thinking it might be nice to have a VHF antenna on the arch so that if something went wrong it would be easier to deal with.

I've been looking into stainless steel arches and they are pretty expensive. I'm pondering galvanized steel pipe and then painting it instead. I could cut it myself and have someone weld it together for me. Any reason not to go that route? It seems like the cost savings would be significant.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Two cheapo material questions - galvanized solar/radar arch and ext plywood sole/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Hello all,

Pondering this winter's refit and adding up some costs and then feeling nauseous....

I'm looking into putting an arch on the stern for a fairly wide 100w solar panel, and potentially for a radar. Since my mast mounted VHF is seemingly not working, I was also thinking it might be nice to have a VHF antenna on the arch so that if something went wrong it would be easier to deal with.

I've been looking into stainless steel arches and they are pretty expensive. I'm pondering galvanized steel pipe and then painting it instead. I could cut it myself and have someone weld it together for me. Any reason not to go that route? It seems like the cost savings would be significant.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Paul
Paul,

You might want to speak with Ben Zartman, or read his latest article in the current edition of Good Old Boat with respect to using galvanized steel pipe for anything above deck before going ahead. See also, Cruising with the Zartman Family | A Small Boat, A Growing Family, A Big Dream
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-25-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Two cheapo material questions - galvanized solar/radar arch and ext plywood sole/

When you weld the pipe the galvanizing inside the pipe will burn off. The rust will start inside the pipe which cannot be inspected.
OPossumTX likes this.
Old 09-25-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

The metal will rust. The ply will rot. Next

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I would expect wood to last longer than galvanized, and aluminum a little longer maybe.
If properly anodized aluminum is impervious if not Ha Ha.
Old 09-26-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

CMeme's point re galvanising burning off is why gal tube is usually joined by threaded connectors. At least I think thats the case. In reality there is no good reason not to use Gal pipe other than that it will not look as pretty and its somewhat heavier than stainless. Plenty of boats (oh crikey I'm starting to sound like BS) have used gal for lifeline staunchions and have done so quite successfuly.

Provided the ply is encased in epoxy and I do mean encased (endgrain this means you !!) then building grade waterproof ply will do the job for you but if any fresh water gets into the ply itself then yep, Paul is correct, it will rot. However done right it will probably be OK, particularly if you keep your bilges dry.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 09-26-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Galvi pipe is much heavier and even if galvanized after welding has a limited life. Don't ask how I know this. Aluminium is a better choice. or ss if you can dumpster like I do. Pay a welder and do it right. If you can find an aircraft repair shop look for floor panels from big wrecked planes(747, 737 etc) Honeycombed plastic 5/8 boards. easy cut and glassed.Worth the time scrounging.
Old 09-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

It's best not to have any sort of mild steel on a boat. If it's magnetic, leave it ashore - steel boats excluded of course.

Good quality exterior ply works fine inside boats, especially if it is epoxy coated. It is particularly important to ensure the edges are sealed. I've used it any number of times with nary a problem.

My current 36 Y/O boat has an interior constructed largely of it, much of it not even painted (yet) in the hidden areas and there are absolutely no problem areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2013

seaner97 is on a distinguished road
Two cheapo material questions - galvanized solar/radar arch and ext plywood sole/floo

Did mine with marine ply and teak and quartersawn tng 3/8 flooring. Any gap or defect in the epoxy (virtually guaranteed to happen) will lead to either rot, mold or standard glue delam in the Home Depot ply. The money you save on the plywood you will lose on doing it again unless you plan to sell the boat and make it someone else's problem in the next few years.
Old 09-29-2013

captjim6 is on a distinguished road

I have to do my Sole this spring as It has gone to H the second time.
I am going to use a Fiberglass panel you can buy and glue to a 3/8 tongue and groove plywood.
Soak the edges of the patterned plywood with Penetrating epoxy.
This will help eliminate rot around the edges also will aid in getting a strong bond to the hull.
I am the going to apply T&G hardwood using epoxy paste using a colloidal thickener, from West System.

I had the description written down for you twice; but trying to do too much I lost it each time.
So I'm attaching a Pix of my boat Risqué at a dock at Harbor Beach, MI.