SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

winch location

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fred1diver 
#1 ·
hey everyone, I'm currently working on my boat, and I'm thinking about moving the winches, why you ask, well simply because I can't use them with my jib, only usable with my 150% genoa
so I'm thinking about putting them on the cabin top instead.
What do you guys think?
should I leave them alone or move them?
thanks
FRED

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
+2

Get a pair cheap from a consignment shop.

#4 ·
On my boat I have 1" tracks both outboard by the toe rails and on the cabin top to help control the foresail by changing the angle of attack.

I think that you might also consider adding a little sliding track on your cabin top with a block attached to it.

I agree with adding a set of winches to your cabin top rather then just moving your original set. Good luck with your modification.

#5 ·
If you move them, how are you going to trim your 150% genoa? It might be easier to add fairleads for the working jib (or any other jibs) that lead to the existing winches, rather than to move the existing winches. Cabintop winches can be useful, but using them to trim jibs might be a real hassle.

#11 ·
Would a pair of snatch block with trunnions strategically placed provide a fair lead to the winches? Perhaps blocks and beckets could be used to configure a fair lead. I'd look for other solutions before moving winches. I like to keep sail handling near the helm.
-CH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.