SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

If I move my anchor roller several inches off center, will I mess anything up?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 ·
My anchor roller is directly in line with my (plastic housing) Harken Roller Furling. I've broken off a couple pieces of the housing when in a rush to get the anchor up singlehanding. Roller furling is still functioning fine but obviously it's not a great situation.

The boat is a Pearson Triton. I'm pondering mounting the roller about 5 inches off the centerline to give me good clearance from the roller furling (have to be honest that I'm pondering dumping the furling entirely but that's another story. I'm also wondering about putting on a double roller instead of the single roller. The Mantus anchor I have won't allow two anchors on the roller but it would be nice to be able to have the chain from a second anchor over a roller instead of snubbed through a fairlead as happens now.

I'm wondering if there will be any difference in the way she lies at anchor if the roller is off center a bit. She's generally pretty good and doesn't wander too much.

Any thoughts?

And thanks for answering a million questions. I've gotten some great info here. There's probably more questions to come.

See less See more
#6 ·
IMHO, it is a good thing for the roller to be "off center" The boat would yawl less in current or light winds. just guessing but I think it's true of my boat even though I never gave it much thought.

#7 ·
how about a stainless plate or disc on the bottom of the furler so if hits it won't break things. An 'L' shaped guide plate attached to the port side of the roller channel might also work. leave the starboard side open

#10 ·
Several models of boats have a the anchor roller off to one side. The boat might sit off the wind a bit, that might mitigate against sailing on the anchor. If you really concerned set up a bridle to the bow cleats that will keep everything centered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.