Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
What to put on to make for long term live ability?

Brian has been kind enough to pm me with advice. When cruising or being a live aboard basic activities of daily living become of paramount importance. Choosing systems that work , don't break and are serviceable wherever you are is of great importance. Issues are
Heat- have this worked out with wabasco hydronic and reverse off a.c.
Cool- have this worked with keel cooled a.c. installed
Fridge/ freezer- separate keel cooled for each with remove able divider between them

What I don't have worked out is water and generator.
Have 200 g in two tanks. Have whole boat filtration. .?engine driven .?generator driven ?or electric driven water maker.

Have panels and two d400 s. ? AC generator? Dc generator ? Slow rpm ? Fast rpm ? Brands

Please give advice on any or all of the above. Even the issues I think are settled. Think this is of general interest .
Old 09-27-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: What to put on to make for long term live ability?

We run our engine when we run or 12v watermaker. Seems like a no-brainer to make that engine driven.

We do not have a separate genset but do have a 5kw engine driven generator. This can run our reverse cycle AC/Heat and also liven all the 110 outlets on the boat.

Our heater is an ITR Hurricane 12v hydronic with 3 zones and on-demand hot water.

Our Fridge is a 12v Frigoboat keel cooled unit with evaporator in the freezer(8°) and thermostatically controlled spillover into fridge(34°).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013

Thanks Tim
At present we are in New England as well where heat is more important than A.C. Plan on going south. Demands for juice from AC, fridge and freezer much higher down south. Hydronic heater sip not drink electricity.
? Any different set ups from our southron colleagues. ?Any thoughts about generators.
Old 09-27-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I will basically retype my thoughts to you here. Others can comment...

The BVI has the trade winds... a constant breeze and moderate climate. Down here, we often have no winds and it is in the 90's and feels like the 100s. Very hard to sleep in that.

If I was going to buy another generator, I would go with a 110v and one where I could get tractor parts easily. I would get something with a low RPM but made to run for longer periods of time. One example is this generator:

NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units

If you go with a DC generator, aren't you also now going to have to invert that power for air conditioning? So in effect, your ability to run your air conditioning or your hot water (etc, etc) is now dependent on not just one system working well, but two? A system that depends on a system sounds like a nightmare in the making to me.

I think the Next Gens are simply a Kubota engine (Mitsubishi) outfitted to work in a marine environment. The benefit of that is parts will be easier to come by (tractors are all over the world) and cheaper. For example, I have a Mastervolt 3.5 kw. My fuel sensor went out. I had to have it custom made in Italy, shipped to Holland, and finally sent to me. Other than the absurd cost, it took forever and put me in a marina until it arrived.

Your solar setup will take care of most of your power needs - EXCEPT hot water and air conditioning (remember I have 780 watts). THat is about all you need a generator for. You can run your main engine for hot water (and we often do as it also charges the batteries), but there is no way to get around a generator for air conditioning. As such, I would personally get a 110v generator. I would like in the 5kw range. I would get a low rpm (1800ish) generator that minimizes vibration, noise, and are made to run for longer periods of time than those like mine which run at high rpms and really are not well suited for long-time running. This is assuming you can handle the footprint.

When you crank up your generator, it is a great time to give your batteries a good charge, heat your water, and of course cool the boat down. You may want to run this thing all night. Down here, we often do. My poor little generator cannot keep up with all that load so I have to be picky on what runs and it is a real hassle.

On the matter of water makers, I would get a 110v system with high water output. I would get more of a homemade model. I have some links somewhere if you want them? The reason being that you will have a generator anyways. You don't want to run your watermakere all day and night. You want to maximize your time when you are running it - get it done and move on to something else. The theory thrown out is that whenever you want water, you just turn it on and voila. However, you are going to find that MANY of the places you are moored/anchored, you will NOT run that watermaker. The water is grosse (people dumping their heads in it, city run-off, etc). As such, you may want to weigh anchor and make that water while between ports or on a casual sail out of the bays. You will want something that makes a lot of water in a short amount of time. Plus, it gives you the flexibility of washing your boat, your clothes, and other things without having to wait all day to refill your tanks.

I really like the very simple, basically build yourself, units. KISS on watermakers seems the only way to go. On the Tayana, it has a Spectra. All you have to do is press start and it basically runs the pre-run, checks the water quality, etc. It is very efficient and runs off 12 volts. However, (big however), that thing is finicky. All you need is for one sensor to go out and it malfunctions. I know... it happened! So if you get a simple watermaker with basic spare parts and filters, then yeah, you gotta watch what you are doing while you are doing it, but parts are cheap, available, and troubleshooting is easy.

I learned the hard way cruising that how much money you have really has no bearing on how well things work. In fact, the more expensive and complicated items are often the ones that like to break first. And again, it does not matter if you are Bill Gates, when you are 200 miles offshore or off of the Tortugas, and your X quits working, no amount of money is going to get it fixed. You are on your own. So keep your systems simple, understand how they work, always think about parts and how you could get them (forget the cost, simply getting them is a killer), and stay with things that are tried and true.[/QUOTE]

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-27-2013

Have read this 3 times now and still great advise. Thanks Brian
Old 09-29-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have read this 3 times now and still great advise. Thanks Brian
Im great at spending other people's money!!!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-29-2013

Still good advice.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.