Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: $95.00 an hour. phew

If they are legit between insurance, taxes, social security, workmen's comp, etc, etc and now Obamacare there maybe $15 to $20 an hour for him, net, maybe....It's a sad world out there now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road

Great advice guys. I'm a little handy so i will break out the tools
zeehag likes this.
Old 09-28-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

What Azguy said. Now add to that the fact that to get the 15$ out of the 95$, they're taking on a huge amount of risk too.

If you think you're happy working all hours, with a huge amount of liability and expenses, some substantial health risks, for that kind of take home pay then it could be a good career for you. :-)
Old 09-28-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Don't even get me started...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Hourly rates make me chuckle. I'm aware of a couple of local guys here that do a variety of boat repairs. Both are competent. One guy is $50/hr and the other is $80. The low cost guy shows up without much for tools and without obviously necessary parts. He makes many trips to the chandlery and back to his shop to get tools, of course charging for all that unproductive time. I've seen the more expensive guy show up to look at a job and take notes so when he comes back to actually start the project he nearly always has all the tools and parts needed to complete the task. The final cost is almost always cheaper for the guy charging the higher hourly rate. A good friend insists on using the cheapest labor he can find because he "is saving money". I think it's better to find the best value rather than get all wrapped up on hourly rates.
davidpm and bljones like this.
Old 09-29-2013

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
This has been our experience too

FarCry is spot on. We had work done in a 'lower rate' yard last winter. It was a disaster. It was badly done and took three times as long as it should so it cost us a fortune - for bad work.....

We are getting some work done in a more expensive yard at the moment. The guys are awesome, efficient, creative, great to work with. It ain't going to be cheap but it will be fair and every result better than anticipated. That is worth a LOT.

Rates are meaningless. Value is the key.

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
Hourly rates make me chuckle. I'm aware of a couple of local guys here that do a variety of boat repairs. Both are competent. One guy is $50/hr and the other is $80. The low cost guy shows up without much for tools and without obviously necessary parts. He makes many trips to the chandlery and back to his shop to get tools, of course charging for all that unproductive time. I've seen the more expensive guy show up to look at a job and take notes so when he comes back to actually start the project he nearly always has all the tools and parts needed to complete the task. The final cost is almost always cheaper for the guy charging the higher hourly rate. A good friend insists on using the cheapest labor he can find because he "is saving money". I think it's better to find the best value rather than get all wrapped up on hourly rates.

Last edited by GrahamO; 09-29-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It's taking everything I have to keep from puking out dozens of stories about the yard tards I've dealt with over the years. It's not what you pay, it's what you get and that's inferior, ineffective or often worse than before they touched the boat. Often!

On point, however, the $95 per hour is both common and understandable, given the overhead involved. I sometimes marvel at how much just the docks themselves must have cost at our marina.

What torques me is that I pay the same exact rate for the diesel mechanic that I pay for the guy that rolls on the bottom paint. That's not right, given that I've seen the unskilled, entry level guy do the bottom paint (and not very well either). They may argue, to make the operation work, they would have to raise one to lower the other. Still, that would make more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Yeah I would look at what you get. The hourly might include skilled personnel, tools and equipment to get the job done much faster.
Old 09-29-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

I just worked out my rate in us Dollers and it is US $80.69 I do anything with grp and cosmetic repairs
From building Kayaks to new cabins and decks.
Thought I was FAIR PRICE ! after all thats per day. NorthEast U.K
Old 09-29-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

My rate is only $40 per hour. I can't fix boats but for that money I watch you work while I drink beer and chat to your wife.

davidpm, bljones and Minnesail like this.