SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   $95.00 an hour. phew (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104192-%2495-00-hour-phew.html)

boknows 09-28-2013 02:41 PM

$95.00 an hour. phew

I just talked to a local boat repair place and their going rate is 95.00 per hour. Im in the wrong business. Please tell me how you find people to work on your boat. Im new and learning. Also do normal electricians and ac repair companies work on boats normally?

AlaskaMC 09-28-2013 02:53 PM

Re: $95.00 an hour. phew

That is a typical shop rate for cars, boats, plumbing, electric etc. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is likely what you will pay anywhere or close to it. Remember that for a shop that price includes much more than one person working on a boat. All the overhead + profit and don't think these folks are ending up rich for the most part.

Delezynski 09-28-2013 03:01 PM

Boknows,

You just discover the first reason to do the work yourself. It's what gets you started....

Next come the next and BEST reason to do it yourself... YOU will get to KNOW YOUR BOAT! And when a problem comes up "out there" you can handle it.

Get a few books to cover your needs. Many will suggest what worked for them...

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...... ENJOY it!! :)

Greg

PaulinVictoria 09-28-2013 03:26 PM

I work on my boat for everything that I possibly can do. I try and learn things that I can't do. You get to know your boat, and more importantly, you know exactly what has been done, how, and any shortcuts you ended up doing (and therefore have to take into account).
With a yard, you often get nothing better than you could do yourself (and often much worse), plus no idea at the end of it if the work was actually done to a standard you are happy with.

MarkofSeaLife 09-28-2013 03:28 PM

Now you know why I will never buy a project boat.

garrison57 09-28-2013 03:39 PM

I shut down a 20 year old boat business last December because I could not make it at 75.00 an hour. The overhead, insurance and government regs just took it all. I understand that $95 an hour seems high but if the guy is supporting his business (and he is good) he is most assuredly not getting rich off of just you. I used to get fellows asking me, "if I worked on the side". I told them sure, first I worked on my right side and then I rolled over and worked on my left side. I was sad to quit the business but have suddenly found time to fix my own boat. Don't pass judgement on a $95 an hour labor charge unless the guy ain't worth a s**t. If that be the case then "tar and feather" is the appropriate action always.

Shinook 09-28-2013 05:07 PM

Depends on where you are. I have paid as low as $20/hr, but usually end up around $45/hr average for work around here. I would not pay $95/hr for any work on our boat, I'd do the work instead if I had to pay that much.

It sounds like you are probably calling around local yards and asking for quotes, which is OK, but they tend to be a lot more expensive. I've found most of our folks just by asking other people who does their work for them. If you don't know anyone personally, then just walk around local marinas and ask anyone for recommendations.

What type of boat do you have and what type of work do you need done? Where in GA are you located?

capttb 09-28-2013 06:37 PM

The guy that used to fix my washer & dryer had to raise his rates to $80/hr., now he's the guy I buy washer & dryer PARTS from.

Tim Newman 09-28-2013 06:52 PM

When I used to own an old army Land Rover and attend all the enthusiast meets, etc. the prevailing mantra was unless you can do most of the work yourself, then get another hobby. Mechanics' fees will surpass the value of your vehicle over a weekend. I expect a similar reasoning applies to boats.

rafael block 09-28-2013 06:54 PM

I don't get why folks don't blanch at paying $90 an hour for things like car repair but b!tch at paying more than $25 an hour to their remodeler....

Signed,

Grumpy Carpenter!