SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marine-Tex - What's the point?

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Skipper Jer 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Why would you buy either at WM? Too $$$$ !

Most people don't like mixing colors and I beleive MT comes in white or gray but not clear. which could be why they buy it.

I've many years experience with west system and but I have used system 3 with equal results.

Also, ALL epoxies are not UV resistant. So it needs paint to protect it from the sun. (or varnish if clear)

#5 ·
We use Marine tex for small jobs where white is called for: scratches in the topsides, for example. Filling holes in the deck when you move a fitting. It's easy to mix up, and doesn't run. Getting the jugs of epoxy resin and hardner out, mixing up enough to use, then adding filler (which can make the epoxy kick early) can be a big hassle when you only need a little bit. Then you have to worry about UV degradation, and paint over it. Marine-tex we used to fill in holes on our Soling deck lasted more than 10 years, and then we sold the boat. For bigger repairs using cloth or mat, epoxy resin is the way to go. What you use depends on what you're doing with it. That's the point.

#6 ·
For what its worth, MarineTex can also be tinted with a little of the coloring agents sold at West Marine. It takes some experimentation but I have been able to match colors pretty well with a little of the yellow, blue and black coloring agents including the repair of a small hole burned in a Navy blue counter-top in our forward lavatory by a thoughtlessly placed curling iron that my better half insists on using, even aboard. It's pretty useful stuff.

#8 ·
You can easily mix up small batches on a piece of stiff plastic used as a mortar board. Simply scrape out a bit of the material (I often use a tongue depressor) and drop a tiny bit of catalyst on it and mix thoroughly. Fortunately, MarineTex isn't so sensitive to mix ratios as some of the other materials. Once you've tried it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

Reactions: bljones
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.