Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Tea Tree Oil Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
$7.95 for 2 ounces is better!......
Is that the Kanberra refill cost or the cost of the product you are recommending?

I pay $3.75 per ounce to refill Kanberra.

Amazon.com: Kanberra Gel Refill Pouch 24 oz.: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Kanberra Gel Refill Pouch 24 oz.: Health & Personal Care

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

The thing of it is that most of the gel products (including Kanberra) are only about 8% tea tree oil.

The Walmart product is 100% tea tree oil, making the Kanberra product see to be, well, a rip-off.

----

I tested dehumidifiers and tea tree oil and some other things for an article....

The dehumidifier won and it wasn't close; the dehumidifier stopped the mold, the tea tree oil made it smell pretty.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

What kind of dehumidifiers did you test? I recently installed a peltier style one (EvaDry 1100), but it is too new for me to really say how well it is working. It is filling up with water which is good.
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
What kind of dehumidifiers did you test? I recently installed a peltier style one (EvaDry 1100), but it is too new for me to really say how well it is working. It is filling up with water which is good.
I was using the EVA Dry 2000 in a 32-foot catamaran, so I think you've got the size about right. It will probably want to frost in the winter, so put it on a timer (it will thaw during the day, when it is off and the sun is up).

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...-desicant.html

I ran a hose to the sink and sat it on the stove.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 10-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Dehumidifiers are great when you're dockside. However, up on the hard, most aren't permitted to run power 24/7. It's the shoulder seasons that heat up the interior that I find are the greatest risk. Kanberra has been holding them off nicely. Even the product that I set out in the Fall will freeze over the winter and be instantly available as the Spring thaw occurs. Perfectly timed for when its needed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-01-2013

neilsty is on a distinguished road

How much kanberra do people use for a boat on the hard in the Caribbean from mid July to end of October with no dehumidifier. I bought the 24 oz one and split it into separate containers one for each of 3 cabins 2 heads and 2 in the salon/galley. I hope it is working as I have not seen the boat since mid July. I also put some dehumidifier gel tubs around but a mechanic told me they were shot after about 4 weeks.
Old 10-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Kanberra Gel Online Store - Kanberra Gel

USent from my iPad

99 dollars.....24 oz....by last bag lasted 2+ years. Well worth it. No need to experiment

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Dehumidifiers are great when you're dockside. However, up on the hard, most aren't permitted to run power 24/7. It's the shoulder seasons that heat up the interior that I find are the greatest risk. Kanberra has been holding them off nicely. Even the product that I set out in the Fall will freeze over the winter and be instantly available as the Spring thaw occurs. Perfectly timed for when its needed.
True enough, and deiscant (CaCl2) is impractical (lots is needed).

However, I have been experimenting with running the dehumidifier off the solar panels, which works fine if I set the cycle short (4 hours per day) and run it off the 12v side. That is enough to keep the RH ~ 50% with the boat sealed up.

I stay in the water all winter (a bit more humid I'm sure); dehumidifiers are probably a better answer in that case.

Old 10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
True enough, and deiscant (CaCl2) is impractical (lots is needed).
I presume that is the stuff in Damp Rid? I do that too. I just buy the refill for about $5 that reloads about 8 or 10 baskets. Each will collect about a cup of water over the winter and I sit them in each sink so they would drain overboard if they froze and broke. I doubt that's really all that meaningful, but its cheap. Better than nothing, but no replacement for Kanberra, IMO.

Quote:
I stay in the water all winter (a bit more humid I'm sure); dehumidifiers are probably a better answer in that case.
At a mooring or slip? Seems a slip would provide power. If you stay in the water at our marina (no liveaboards), you get a meter and pay for what you use.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-02-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Um, you know we make enough fruit jellies that I bet I could sub out some tea tree oil, the hang up would be how to get to diffuse/release?

Photo by Joe McCary