Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road
Re: Tea Tree Oil Recipe

Also a fan of Kanberra Gel.

has anyone tried this brand, its quite a bit less expensive

Amazon.com: Safe-T-Air Cleaner with Tea Tree Oil: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Safe-T-Air Cleaner with Tea Tree Oil: Home & Kitchen

Hull #5
Oriental NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Here is a thread that I started 3 years ago on Kanberra. In post #58, I reprinted an email from the owner of Kanberra (with their permission) that addresses, among other things, Safe-t-air. Its a good read.

Kanberra gel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I presume that is the stuff in Damp Rid? I do that too. I just buy the refill for about $5 that reloads about 8 or 10 baskets. Each will collect about a cup of water over the winter and I sit them in each sink so they would drain overboard if they froze and broke. I doubt that's really all that meaningful, but its cheap. Better than nothing, but no replacement for Kanberra, IMO.

At a mooring or slip? Seems a slip would provide power. If you stay in the water at our marina (no liveaboards), you get a meter and pay for what you use.
a. A dehumidifier--even the smallest--would remove 10x that amount of water over the winter, at least 1 gallon per month even in the cold (assuming the air is not too dry). That is why CaCl2 doesn't work; the amount required to keep the humidity where it needs to be is impractical.

b. Slip with unmetered power. However, ice storm power failures being what they are it is nice to have independent systems. And I like to tinker. For example, folks that rely upon heaters for winterization are rolling the dice.

That said, tea tree oil has proven bacteriostatic properties at the recommended doses--I've tested this in the lab. Vapors (at any concentration you could stand) won't kill a healthy colony, but they can put a damper on spread. My wife likes the smell, I don't, so we use tea tree oil at home and not on the boat.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I just can not see how the small amount of money saved by making your own gel over buying the refill bag is worth the trouble.
Old 10-03-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I just can not see how the small amount of money saved by making your own gel over buying the refill bag is worth the trouble.
It's fun to try. Learn something about stuff that I didn't know before. Isn't about the money, just fun. The voyage of discovery....
kwaltersmi likes this.
Old 10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
It's fun to try. Learn something about stuff that I didn't know before. Isn't about the money, just fun. The voyage of discovery....
Seems like why we sail, to me.

Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For those attempting a home brew, I think the gel nature of the product is probably misleading some. From intuition, I'm thinking that tea tree oil itself won't just evaporate well and disperse all on its own. Otherwise, just leave a tin of it out and we're all set. It must require a dispersant that both mixes with the oil and evaporates at room temperature. Not too fast, but not too slow. The gel nature is likely the result of emulsifying those ingredients to keep them combined. While gelatin will solidify the mixture, I don't think that's the actual goal. Further, while it may give off tea tree oil odor, suggesting some evaporation, I would think gelatin will be more effective in retaining the oil than helping to disperse. Who knows, maybe the smallest amount of gelatin helps retain the emulsification and accounts for the pea sized remaining nugget in Kanberra. Although, I should say that in areas of higher air movement, ever bit of Kanberra evaporates. Only where air is still do I get the remaining pea.

Additionally, I suspect the quality and grade of oil matters. I can buy two different jalepenos, one will burn and the other won't. Depending on the source, one batch of home brew may work, while the next doesn't.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear how these recipes work.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2013

If you really want to hurt your head, figure out how much you need and why.

* How much air will move thrugh the boat? Seal it up tight and you make condensation worse, ventilate too much and there won't be enough tea tree oil to do a thing.
* Minimum inhibiting concentration. Google it.
* Temperature sensativity of evaporation. Big affect.

I went through the calculations and it's like this; the manufacturer suggestion is rational, BUT it is very easy to be off by 10x if the temperature or ventilation rate is changed. In that case you might get a pretty smell but there is no chance what so ever that it was biologically effective, like not taking enough antibiotic. There is some discussion that low levels can develop super bugs... but they're always sayin' that.

Old 10-15-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Sabreman,

You got me thinking. So I am doing an experiment just now....

First I bought a small Kanberra Gel to see what it was like. Thanks, I like it.

Next, I decided to try to make something that might work. I bought a package of Knox gelatine (with 4 envelops) and a bottle of Tea Tree oil at a local wally world for under $8.00 total.

I have a few old plastic yogurt cups that hold about 6 Oz.

The Tea Tree oil will not mix with water, but will mix in alcohol. So in a cup I mixed an eye dropper of oil in about an once of rubbing alcohol and set that aside.

I then put about 1.5 Oz. Of room temp water in the plastic cup and slowly sprinkled in 1 envelop of the gelatin in it to wet it out.

I then got about 4 Ox. Of water boiling, and added that to the cup slowly and stirred it well. After a few min I added the oil & alcohol to the cup and stirred it well, then cover the cup with plastic wrap. I set it in the reefer for a few hours to set up.

I then took it out of the reefer (a few days ago) and put it in our garage here in Az. Over the last few days it did NOT turn back to a liquid as it was mixed so concentrated.

First – it smells NOTHING LIKE THE Kanberra! They must put a lot of other “smell good stuff” in it!!!

I took the top off and put it in the boat today. I'll report back in a week or so how it's going. I also have a couple of other ideas on how to do this.

Greg
jimgo likes this.

Youtube page -
Old 10-15-2013

I highly suspect that Kanberra is an emulsion, not gelatin. I don't see how gelatin will evaporate.

Jeanneau 54DS