SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Life jacket marking.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Donna_F 
#1 ·
Life Jackets and the RNLI.

Just replaced two of the life jackets we had.. Inside the jackets is a small pvc see through window with a little card. Name ship or what ever.

After talking with a friend whom is x RNLI retired he suggested that We design and fit our ow card.

Name .. Call sign .. Ships name MMSI Number .And your address ... And on the reverse Name of next of kin ..Address next of kin. Next of kin's contact telephone number...

All a bit morbid I know.

This can be written or printed on a small card and laminated then with a very small cable tie fitted inside the life jacked as there is always a part of the life jacket that has a single skin..

Other life jackets information could be Guest of ... Ships name .. Call sign ...MMSI Number.

The grab bag could also have the same information attached to it.
Doing the labels this way is useful to the RNLI and other rescue services.
I have been told no matter where it is fitted IT WILL BE FOUND.

I think this is a good idea myself as each boat we have sold in the past Life jackets have always gone with it and the Grab bag Because I used to write the ships name ect inside the jacket.
And crossing it out and rewriting it looks messy and could be confusing to others.

Good idea or not .?
Or what's your option....

See less See more
#3 ·
Great idea. In my life jackets with pockets I keep my expired driver's license when I kayak.

Just a word of warning to make sure that anyone doesn't try to rig their own pocket with one of those plastic holders and a pin: In the US, if you puncture the fabric in any way (sewing anything on it that wasn't done by the factory, poking a pin through it for a plastic holder), it voids the USCG approval as the integrity of the fabric is compromised. This was mentioned to me once as fishermen sometimes tend to attach their licenses by just pinning them on rather than buying a life jacket with a holder already sewn on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.