Putting in new floors and a cabin sole. Also planning a new cabin layout. Advice? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Putting in new floors and a cabin sole. Also planning a new cabin layout. Advice?

As previously mentioned, the sole on my Triton is spongy and damp. Also pretty uncomfortable. There are some cracks progressing along it, so I know that it's getting worked around. My first big job this winter is zipping it out, putting in in tranverse plywood floors and putting in a new plywood sole with hatches. It's going to be plywood and painted. No teak or anything like that.

Anyway, any advice on doing this? I'm thinking about 3/4" marine douglas fir for the floors on 16" centers, with a good sized hole on each side for drainage into the center of the bilge. That all glassed into the keel and bilge. Some manner of wood attached to the top edge to make a better fastening area for the sole. Was thinking 1/2" marine plywood for the sole. Would lay a bead of thickened epoxy on each floor and then screw the sole down to the floors. Then glass in the sole. A hatch cut for each gap in the floor.

Seems doable, kind of a medium-big job. Much stronger than what was there originally.

2nd question: I'm planning a redesign of the cabin layout. Possibly going with some sort of dinnette to starboard, rebuilding the galley. Any ideas on how to lay this out? I'm pondering finding a marine architect to make some drawings for me. I'm not worried about the woodwork, but I could see screwing up the design part and ending up with something that doesn't work well. The current layout is pretty frustrating. I have a lot of ideas but I'm not great at drawing them out.

Thanks!
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Putting in new floors and a cabin sole. Also planning a new cabin layout. Advic

What is there now, or was there initially?

I upped the thickness of my cabin soule from ˝" to 3/4" over the bilge. The result is a substantially stiffer soule. The area that did not cover the bilge, was laid on top of a fiberglass and gelcoat pan, which was already stiff, but looked like crap (presumably after 25 years). I simply replaced this with more ˝" plywood (with teak & holly veneer).

16" centers does not apply, as this is a boat (not a house).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-02-2013

Re: Putting in new floors and a cabin sole. Also planning a new cabin layout. Advic

There is a plywood sole there, glassed into the bilge. I haven't measured the thickness of it. I don't think it's original. It's pretty spongy. I'm sure if I just went with a 3/4" plywood sole it would stiffen up immediately. The glass around the edges is cracking, so I was wondering about putting in floors to stiffen it up, but that's quite possibly unnecessary.
Old 10-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I made a new floor board out of extruded PVC. Best thing I did to the boat. Lighter and easier to maintain and clean than any wood. Sands and cuts easily.

Not as pretty, but I'd rather be sailing.
Old 10-02-2013

Do you have a link to the PVC product?