Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

I discovered years ago up in Tonga fish would scoff down fresh poo as fast as they can but wouldnt eat stewed poo out of holding tank,go figure fussy buggers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here is one link to a gravity tank install. If you read the whole thread it gets off track because of the sink drain arrangement which I wouldn't use. A tank system totally separate from the sink is the proper way.
Bulkhead Mounted Gravity Holding Tank - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Here is the system Peter Jacobs installed on his Albin Ballad with lots of pics - he made the tank as well. Easy to follow. Scroll down a few pics for the start and it continues on the next page - "more progress pictures" link at the bottom. Peter's previous boat, an Albin Vega also had a gravity draining holding tank and it also worked well.

........ Mostly About Boats: BOAT RESCUE, PART 16: Lots of pictures!

thanks. that may be a less expensive ( read: more doable ) option than a composting head. it's good to have more options from which to choose.
Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonic View Post
I discovered years ago up in Tonga fish would scoff down fresh poo as fast as they can but wouldnt eat stewed poo out of holding tank,go figure fussy buggers.
lol. that's funny, educational, and it also makes me reconsider eating fish.
Old 11-18-2013

richardb123 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion the composting toilet is so much better than the holding tank system. It smells less, nothing in fact on my boat. It takes up less space. It's cheaper than a good toilet tanks hoses etc.

When cruising full time in the summer, my wife and I empty it once a month. This takes 5 minutes and is not unpleasant with care.

The urine is sterile and goes over the side, (in the ocean only of course).

Compare this to carrying around a tank of sewage under a bunk. Searching for a pumpout station wasting time going to the pumpout station docking,, and pumping out. This takes far, far more time than emptying the compost. And the pump out station is gross and unsanitary. Inevitably some gets spilled and this is toxic smelly stuff. If you have the holding tank system, sooner or later it will get plugged and you'll have to take it apart. THAT is the most unpleasant task I have done, in my life. You will never have to do that with a composting toilet.

Composting toilets like the Nature's Head (probably the best one) are the biggest advancement in sailing since the furling jib. There is really NO comparison.

Talk to a guy that has one. You'll be convinced.
Old 11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardb123 View Post
In my opinion the composting toilet is so much better than the holding tank system. It smells less, nothing in fact on my boat. It takes up less space. It's cheaper than a good toilet tanks hoses etc.

When cruising full time in the summer, my wife and I empty it once a month. This takes 5 minutes and is not unpleasant with care.

The urine is sterile and goes over the side, (in the ocean only of course).

Compare this to carrying around a tank of sewage under a bunk. Searching for a pumpout station wasting time going to the pumpout station docking,, and pumping out. This takes far, far more time than emptying the compost. And the pump out station is gross and unsanitary. Inevitably some gets spilled and this is toxic smelly stuff. If you have the holding tank system, sooner or later it will get plugged and you'll have to take it apart. THAT is the most unpleasant task I have done, in my life. You will never have to do that with a composting toilet.

Composting toilets like the Nature's Head (probably the best one) are the biggest advancement in sailing since the furling jib. There is really NO comparison.

Talk to a guy that has one. You'll be convinced.
they must be good. composting head owners ( 95% of them ) have nothing but good to say of them.
Old 11-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have nothing against composting heads in general, particularly where there is little alternative, such as a mountain cabin. My biggest gripe is that I feel my non-sailor guests would struggle using one. That's a personal choice.

I often read from users, like above, that urine goes overboard. I would love to hear why its okay to put uric acid and pharmaceuticals in the ocean but not bio-degradable solid waste that has already been liquified with salt water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-19-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have nothing against composting heads in general, particularly where there is little alternative, such as a mountain cabin. My biggest gripe is that I feel my non-sailor guests would struggle using one. That's a personal choice.

I often read from users, like above, that urine goes overboard. I would love to hear why its okay to put uric acid and pharmaceuticals in the ocean but not bio-degradable solid waste that has already been liquified with salt water.
Minne, I've found that guests quickly get the hang of using my composting toilet. I made up a little laminated card (bilingual, of course) with instructions on using the Nature's Head toilet. I also give non-boating guests a quick run-down on how the toilet works as I go through all the other boat stuff with them. No problems so far. A composting toilet is not very complicated to use.

I don't know what you mean by "uric acid and pharmaceuticals". What pharmaceuticals??
Old 11-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Prescription, over-the-counter, food additives, etc. All present in human waste.

Uric acid is simply in urine, I only wonder why people seem to consider urine more acceptable to put in the water than #2. I don't object to either, in the right circumstances, to be clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-19-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Well, speaking for myself and my family, we don't take any medication and we eat only natural food. I suspect our urine is Ok...

I also don't understand how people can use a holding tank, often treated with chemicals, and then dump offshore (3 miles in the US?) and think it's the right way to do things. A composting toilet gives you a number of options that a holding tank doesn't. One can always opt to dump the urine container in a public toilet (thus entering the sewage treatment system) and the solids can be disposed of in a number of different ways, including the flower garden.

To be honest, the waste from boats is so insignificant a problem compared to land-based sewage that I don't really worry about it.
captain jack likes this.
Old 11-19-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Prescription, over-the-counter, food additives, etc. All present in human waste.
Yes ... and whether you dump on land through normal sewage treatment systems, or at sea, most of this chemical crap finds its way into our ecosystems. As you know, our sanitation systems do not process much of this chemistry. It gets into the environment either way. So your only answer Minn (if this is your principle concern) is stop your intake of these chemicals, which will be hard to do if you're eating here in North American. Or you can stop excreting .

Quote:
Uric acid is simply in urine, I only wonder why people seem to consider urine more acceptable to put in the water than #2. I don't object to either, in the right circumstances, to be clear.
B/c urine does not carry the same load of pathogens (bacteria, viruses and parasites) that is commonly found in human feces. Although this varies from human to human, urine is ~95% water, with the remaining constituents being urea, and various salts (chloride, sodium, potassium). There is usually a trace amount of other inorganic and organic compounds. This is why drinking urine-contaminated water will rarely cause any harm. Doing the same with water contaminated with human feces produces a high risk of infection.

As has often been said on this thread, dilution is the solution to pollution. This is why it is acceptable to dump your shyt while offshore. The 3-mile limit is purely arbitrary, much like voting at 18. but it's seems to be a good safe number.
captain jack likes this.

Tags
catalina 27 , composting toilet , head , holding tank , liveaboard