Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Any thoughts on Lectra San?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
You could be right about the functional impact. I haven't done or seen an analysis that would answer the question if which is the least damaging. It will be small, either way.

Where I cruise there's lots of opportunity for the shallow hole solution, but I grant that is not always possible. Hopefully in those urban areas people can head out to sea for a standard dump.
Old 10-03-2013

Godot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Any thoughts on Lectra San?
It sounds to me about as close to the perfect solution as you can find. Except I don't believe you can use it in zero discharge waters.
Old 10-03-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

We’ve had a composting head for three years now. We wanted very much to like it – and in fact did love it for the first year or so. At first having to constantly empty the liquid container seemed a small price to pay for not having to deal with holding tanks and pump-outs, but now we’re much less convinced. After another recent infestation, we’ve come very close to deciding to remove the composter and to reinstall a conventional marine head and holding tank. We’ve had fruit fly and fungus infestations intermittently and when they occur it’s an absolutely disgusting cleanup job. I think the medium was getting and staying too damp and we've rectified that to some degree (part of which means not using the toilet on port tack!), but the next time I find fungus or fruit flies - I'm done!

As for the LectraSan, I've heard them pretty widely praised for areas that aren't NDZ. If you're going into NDZ areas you have to keep the regular holding tank in parallel, which takes up a lot of space. They're also very expensive.
Old 10-03-2013

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

To the OP: You have received a great deal of information and links to previous threads where this has been discussed at length. Those who have composting heads seem generally pleased with them. Remember though, that this is not a random sampling by any means and the reality is that probably 99.9 % of all boats out there that have a head do have some sort of holding tank system. The marine head/holding tank system works acceptably well for the vast majority of boaters, and as has been mentioned before, a composting system not going to be a plus when it comes time to sell your present boat.
Old 10-03-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post
It sounds to me about as close to the perfect solution as you can find. Except I don't believe you can use it in zero discharge waters.
I believe you can still plumb them to a holding tank if needed for those zero discharge zones like Herring Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Hmmm, not sure what you mean Minn. Have you used one? There's nothing very odd or gross about it. The only real difference is men have to sit. And you have to open the trap door. Everything else happens as-per normal.
I have. I've also used an outhouse and porta potty. They're all gross, by common standards. Doesn't stop me, but I know plenty who won't use any of the above. Period.

Quote:
If you can't fully compost the waste (which takes ~3 months I've read) then it should be dumped out at sea, just like a normal marine head (once you're out past legal limit).....
If you're depositing in it every day, the moment you empty it you have nearly uncomposted waste in the mix. What would you do with it aboard to let it compost for 3 months? Therefore, dumping past the limit is really the only option and I doubt their are many that find themselves in legal dumping areas often enough to be practical. Therefore, the same raw sewage from yesterday's deposit goes straight in the trash I suspect.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-03-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you're depositing in it every day, the moment you empty it you have nearly uncomposted waste in the mix. What would you do with it aboard to let it compost for 3 months? Therefore, dumping past the limit is really the only option and I doubt their are many that find themselves in legal dumping areas often enough to be practical. Therefore, the same raw sewage from yesterday's deposit goes straight in the trash I suspect.
I think that what some folks do is have a spare bucket that is sealed and just thrown in the hold and disposed of after a couple months.
Old 10-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I think that what some folks do is have a spare bucket that is sealed and just thrown in the hold and disposed of after a couple months.
Interesting. News to me that it will continue to decompose without air. That right?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-03-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We’ve had a composting head for three years now. We wanted very much to like it – and in fact did love it for the first year or so. At first having to constantly empty the liquid container seemed a small price to pay for not having to deal with holding tanks and pump-outs, but now we’re much less convinced. After another recent infestation, we’ve come very close to deciding to remove the composter and to reinstall a conventional marine head and holding tank. We’ve had fruit fly and fungus infestations intermittently and when they occur it’s an absolutely disgusting cleanup job. I think the medium was getting and staying too damp and we've rectified that to some degree (part of which means not using the toilet on port tack!), but the next time I find fungus or fruit flies - I'm done!
Put a half cup of diatomaceous earth in the bucket with each new "charge" of peat moss. It will eliminate all insect larvae. Available at any big box garden shop.

Tags
catalina 27 , composting toilet , head , holding tank , liveaboard