Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Building your own composter for under $50 is not all that difficult. I raised the lid around the big hole 3/8th of an inch, leaving little chance of liquids entering the solids chamber.
Old 10-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Every "composting" toilet on a boat is just a wet/dry separated holding tank.

A real composting toilet would need about a hundred yards of inclined ramp under it, so the feces could actually compost during the 90 days it took to get to the bottom of the ramp. The same way it needs about 90 days in every actual composting toilet.

Buy a box of clumping kitty litter, skip the coconut husks, the separators, and the flies. Let's face it guys, there are no composting toilets on boats. What comes out is just dried feces, not compost at all.
Minnewaska likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
....What comes out is just dried feces, not compost at all.
It occurs to me that the reason a "composter" doesn't stink is that there is ample air introduced. Aerobic bacteria doesn't smell, it's low Ox anaerobic bacteria that smells. Use the same high Ox solution on a holding tank and no smell there either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2013

bletso is on a distinguished road

We bought a Natureshead at the boat show. I met some people who had one and they convinced me.
Old 10-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And indeed there are a number of threads online saying that if you've got an adequate vent line on the holding tank, or better yet, two vents lines (fore and aft, etc. to ensure airflow) the tank is unlikely to stink, for just that reason.
Old 11-15-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Maybe I should sell parks Canada a separator seat-bowl, so theirs will work. Maybe I should suggest they take a mold off mine, and make their own.
A footrest in the right place deals with the extra height issue.
I have been using a separator seat- composting head for several years now, and, like most people using them, I would never put a conventional head and holding tank in my boat.
I am thinking of going that route. what brand do you have?
Old 11-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post
I've thought of this a bit lately and I don't think I understand the problem. WHY should raw excrement be such a big problem in landfills? As I understand it, they are built with heavy barriers underneath to keep from contaminating ground water (because, right or wrong, bad things are always going to be thrown in land fills). But, more than that, it seems to me that the half cooked compost recipe will be just as likely to continue cooking in a landfill as out of it, although perhaps slower (but maybe not...don't landfills get very warm, and doesn't the extra heat speed decomposition? Or does getting buried remove too much oxygen?).

Not having children, I also wonder what the recommendation would be for disposing of baby diapers, if the trash is not a good idea. And has millions upon millions of dirty diapers caused any kind of problem?

I think it was the c-head guy, but maybe someone else, who suggested "treating" the waste in a pickle bucket with bleach in order to legally be allowed to dump it. What are your views on this?

Not intending to be snarky, and these are serious questions. Leaving aside any legal restriction, I'm looking at the moral and ethical impact of dumping the waste.
yeah. I have to say I don't know what would be so terrible about t. it's crap. millions of animals and humans have crapped all over the globe. it's called fertilizer. farmers dump it in their fields to grow your food. it turns to dirt. it's not radioactive waste.
Old 11-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Human crap and wild animal crap couldn't be more different. From pharmaceuticals to additives, by comparison, our excrement is toxic.

I'm no tree hugger and I'm even more upset at the illogical marine discharge laws (meaning the prohibition of dumping in harbors makes sense, but there is no science to the 3 mile limit for what amounts to a gallon of actual waste). However, I can't deny that human waste has both bacteria and chemicals that are a larger issue than a bear crapping berries in the woods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I did not know that. I thought only crap from sick people had the pathogens and while all crap was full of bacteria it wasn't necessarily harmful.

I read an article that some folks take poop pills to reintroduce beneficial bacteria back into their gut.
Asians have been fertilizing rice patties with human feces for centuries. I don't seem to notice their populations being decimated by feces born pathogens.
Old 11-15-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Human crap and wild animal crap couldn't be more different. From pharmaceuticals to additives, by comparison, our excrement is toxic.

I'm no tree hugger and I'm even more upset at the illogical marine discharge laws (meaning the prohibition of dumping in harbors makes sense, but there is no science to the 3 mile limit for what amounts to a gallon of actual waste). However, I can't deny that human waste has both bacteria and chemicals that are a larger issue than a bear crapping berries in the woods.
it's not illegocial.. it keeps it from washing up on the beaches. Remember the Candybar incident in Caddyshack?

It also gives the idiots a target to shoot for, otherwise they -would- be dumping their tanks just off of the beaches (most likely because they would think it is funny)

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Tags
catalina 27 , composting toilet , head , holding tank , liveaboard