SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   cleaning lines & sheets (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/10434-cleaning-lines-sheets.html)

c25 09-13-2004 05:47 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

I recently purchased a good old boat and some of the lines & sheets are old & sort of grimy looking. While I decide what I want to replace, can sheets & lines be washed to clean them up? I''d probably use a laundromat machine with a rolling drum type washing cycle. The lines would be just flopping around in there...will this hurt them?

sargasso 09-13-2004 11:57 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

I use my own washing machine each winter to remove all salt and stains from sheets and lines, works very well.I even wrap the blocks in towels with sheets attached.Sheets come out almost new could even try adding fabric condition ?

sargasso 09-13-2004 11:57 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

I use my own washing machine each winter to remove all salt and stains from sheets and lines, works very well.I even wrap the blocks in towels with sheets attached.Sheets come out almost new could even try adding fabric condition ?

pirateofcapeann 09-13-2004 03:27 PM

cleaning lines & sheets

I put my lines in a net bag, like you’d find to hold soiled items at a gym, one or two in each bag. Use a good laundry detergent and a fabric softener just as you would with clothes. Stick around during the wash cycles as they’re liable to make the machine run out of balance and intervention may be called for. Coil and hang to dry.

SailorMitch 09-14-2004 05:42 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

I agree with using net bags, or even old pillow cases, to hold the lines in the washing machine. But you do have to watch for an unbalanced load. To help with that I also wash old towels with the lines to provide more bulk for the spin cycles. I''ve wrapped old socks over shackles to cushion them (and the machine) during washing. The lines will come out great.

c25 09-18-2004 04:16 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

Thanks for the comments....Just a followup...I washed all the lines at a laundromat that had rolling-drum type washers. The lines came out beautiful. Colors popped out and they feel & smell clean (they were grimy feeling & smelled...off). The halyards may be next when the mast comes down.

pirateofcapeann 09-18-2004 06:25 AM

cleaning lines & sheets

I like the idea of the sox over the shackles! I just went over my supply! I''m going to have to do mine soon enough and save for my three part genny halyard with the becket aloft, I''ll pull messengers through with the halyards. Now, let me think of a lightweight friend that I can hoist up there...

bbistis 09-23-2006 02:42 PM

How about using the dryer (on low heat). Will that harm them?

hellosailor 09-23-2006 05:52 PM

"How about using the dryer"
Why, do you ABSOLUTELY have to have DRY LINES in 45 minutes?

Lecy 09-24-2006 01:31 PM

I hand wash halyards and sheets in a mild detergent and rinse them off in the shower. I've seen the core work their way out of the cover after lines have been in the washing machine.