SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Islander 36 turnbuckle pin sizes

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  christian.hess 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Im new here...not new to boats though...

Just bought an Islander 36, 1973, and although I have tried searching even the association webiste Im having a hard time determining wether or not my standing rigging is stock specs or not.

I obviously have an issue regarding my lower shroud pin sizes...stock upper pins are 1/2 inch but all my lower turnbuckles are 3/8, and the chain plate HOLE is 7/16...this is obviously wrong.

(I have not measured my intermediates or upper turnbuckles and wires but visually they are bigger...also they have been upgraded to 9/32 wire which apparently was only used originally for the backstay and forestay...)

not to mention the fact that these have been replaced at one time or another as the lowers are all about 2 inches short, being tied to shackles to make up the length.

This issue aside, the "new" stays are all in great condition, turnbuckles are stamped 8 and bronze chromed with no galling and smooth action...

My question is this:

can I upgrade lower pin sizes or change "small" turnbuckles cheaply or what? or is the 3/8 turnbucke correct size except for my lower pin?

I already have quotes from seco south and rigging only.com both great prices...thing is Im in el salvador and the prices double easily by the time they get here...

anybody with an islander 36 care to jump in and help out?

thanks in advance:)
christian

See less See more
#2 ·
anyone?

any other site that would have more detailed info, maybe Im just not searching well enough...

on the islander 36 website they have turnbuckle sizes(closed type) but I cant make out what they really are

for example what is an 8-12-16 size turnbuckle? or 9-16-16?

All I can make out is the first number is supposed to be in 32"s of an inch, so 8/32 or 9/32

but Im trying to know what proper sized would be for open turnbuckles, or ideal size, on our boats these days...

thanks again

#4 ·
I have! its .org btw

and unless Im not finding it there isnt an ineractive forum where one coul chat per se...

all I can find is the shumacher specs which are exact for lenghts of running and standing rigging but I cant find what exact turnbuckles I should have TODAY.

maybe I just cant find what Im looking for on there

I SEE they have a cd with all the info needed about the islander, maybe thats where they get you...:)

thanks!

#5 ·
so Im about to buy some rigging and deciding in what exact turnbuckle size to get...I found a keiser marine survety stating all turnbuckles sizes where 1/2 inch...seems odd you would use this size for 1/4 inch wire AND 9/32...

again any guys with an ISLANDER 36 any year Id love to know what you ave for standing rigging these days

thanks

#7 ·
tnanks man...yeah I think I went too specific on this thread...wonder if the moderators would be willing to change it for me? or should I start a new thread?

I did the same with the rigging and chainplate thread...my mistake

id love to pic at your brain with some stuff...

as of now Im doing a COMPLETE refit...

toerails
bulkheads
interior wood and trim
deck gelcoat and paint
rigging
and last but not least a haulout

YIKES!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.