Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Baggett and Sons East Coast Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
That too. It has put the boat that was the initial target of this trip on hold.
So... Australia/NZ is looking better by the minute, hey Charlie?
Old 10-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
After three years of hearing "If only you were out here..." I put this up and nada.... I'm not really surprised though. It is the internet after all...
I think the problem is the indoor facility. I know my yard wouldn't allow it. They're monopolistic thieves.

I have an estimate request in for two and a half weeks now. Standard stuff, but if you don't get an estimate, they can put any level of skill on the job and bill you whatever it takes for them to learn how to do it. Want the kicker? My monthly invoice had already arrived and they billed me to go take a look at the work to do the estimate! Still haven't received the estimate! You can't make this stuff up. All the while, ain't no way I can bring you in to work in their building.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Is there a DIY yard anywhere close with buildings? More than one way to skin a cat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
So... Australia/NZ is looking better by the minute, hey Charlie?
If I had some jobs lined up, we'd apply for a visa and show up on your dock.

Old 10-11-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

50 minutes away is Herrington Harbour, great yard with great folks running it. Unfortunately I just took on a new gig on so my time is limited at best...

PM me for my phone and lets see what we can work out.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is there a DIY yard anywhere close with buildings? More than one way to skin a cat..
Unfortunately, I doubt it.

At our yard, DIY is permitted on the hard or at your slip, but not inside. I think that is common. If you bring a contractor on the hard or at the slip, they must demonstrate they have insurance, be approved by the manager and someone pays a 15% vig to the yard. I have no doubt that some of the yard's employees, who didn't get the work, would be jerks about it too. The manager in particular. For inside storage, they don't even permit DIY, let alone a contractor.

When they stink at what they do, a monopoly is about their only weapon.

I believe that inside storage has waiting lists around here. And VERY expensive. $12 - $15 per sqft, plus the mast. Since you can't do any work yourself, you increase the winter storage bill even further to pay them. I know one yard that won't even haul your boat, unless you pay them to winterize it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Can you put a tent up over your boat while it's outside Minne? You could build a greenhouse around it with heavy-duty "clear" plastic.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-11-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

This is the first that I've seen of your trip East, Charlie. I think that there is the opportunity, if you could get the word out. SailNet alone will not cut it. Is Annapolis the only destination, or are you going to other ports?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-11-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
if you don't get an estimate, they can put any level of skill on the job and bill you whatever it takes for them to learn how to do it.
I have definitely run into this. Worse than paying for the unskilled labor to learn is that you likely end up with hack work. And I've actually had a hard time even getting an estimate, even with very well defined work.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 10-11-2013
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
This is the first that I've seen of your trip East, Charlie. I think that there is the opportunity, if you could get the word out. SailNet alone will not cut it. Is Annapolis the only destination, or are you going to other ports?
We have no set destination as yet. Still defining what boats are where and need what done to them.