SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   CS36 Outhaul (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104421-cs36-outhaul.html)

Nias 10-04-2013 01:24 PM

CS36 Outhaul
 
I am replacing some worn sheaves and running rigging on my CS36T. I noticed that the original setup on this boat has a 4:1 block and tackle inside the boom for the outhaul. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the block and tackle and running straight line. All lines are led aft to cleats and winches. Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of the block and tackle? I feel like it just gets in the way, could potentially snag one of the reefing lines and is impossible to service. I should be able to get plenty of leverage with a winch, am I missing something?

djodenda 10-04-2013 02:24 PM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
If you get rid of the blocks, then the full tension of the outhaul will be carried through your gooseneck, which probably isn't a good thing.

Nias 10-04-2013 02:44 PM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
Hmm.. that's something to consider. Although I'm not sure that's reason the manufacturer installed the blocks. The reef lines don't have the block and tackle system. And although they don't see the same loads I would bet that they aren't too far off. I want to say the purchase is there more for racers who want adjust the outhaul more frequently and quickly but I could be wrong.

knuterikt 10-04-2013 02:52 PM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nias (Post 1098863)
I am replacing some worn sheaves and running rigging on my CS36T. I noticed that the original setup on this boat has a 4:1 block and tackle inside the boom for the outhaul. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the block and tackle and running straight line. All lines are led aft to cleats and winches. Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of the block and tackle? I feel like it just gets in the way, could potentially snag one of the reefing lines and is impossible to service. I should be able to get plenty of leverage with a winch, am I missing something?

Lots of boat with direct outhaul and reef lines.
Unless the sheave at the goose neck is weaker than the sheave at the boom end it should not be any problem.

The load at boom end sheave is 2x the load of the rope (180 degree angle)
At the goose neck sheave the load is 1.41x (90 degree angle)

Alex W 10-04-2013 03:51 PM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
I find it hard to ease the outhaul in nicely controlled amounts when it is run directly with no mechanical advantage to a clutch. The main on my 29' boat is probably half the size of the main on your 36' boat.

With the 5:1 tackle on my boat it is pretty easy to make small adjustments.

knuterikt 10-04-2013 04:06 PM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1098944)
I find it hard to ease the outhaul in nicely controlled amounts when it is run directly with no mechanical advantage to a clutch. The main on my 29' boat is probably half the size of the main on your 36' boat.

With the 5:1 tackle on my boat it is pretty easy to make small adjustments.

Mine is a little bit larger than the OP's it's 38'
The 1:1 outhaul go through a clutch to a winch.
If easing under load is a problem just take some turns on the winch drum before opening the clutch. Adjust and close the clutch.

Nias 10-05-2013 12:02 AM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knuterikt (Post 1098955)
Mine is a little bit larger than the OP's it's 38'
The 1:1 outhaul go through a clutch to a winch.
If easing under load is a problem just take some turns on the winch drum before opening the clutch. Adjust and close the clutch.

Yes, exactly. That is how I would usually adjust the outhaul.

So I'm guessing that the purchase is there to be able to make adjustments without having to resort to a winch? I haven't tried the 1:1 under a heavy load yet but in moderate conditions, no problem getting desired tension or easing with the winch.

Faster 10-05-2013 01:11 AM

Re: CS36 Outhaul
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nias (Post 1099183)
Yes, exactly. That is how I would usually adjust the outhaul.

So I'm guessing that the purchase is there to be able to make adjustments without having to resort to a winch? I haven't tried the 1:1 under a heavy load yet but in moderate conditions, no problem getting desired tension or easing with the winch.

You can go to single part if you're using a winch and a clutch, but adjustments will be easier either way with the tackle.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012