CS36 Outhaul - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Faster
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-04-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Nias is on a distinguished road
CS36 Outhaul

I am replacing some worn sheaves and running rigging on my CS36T. I noticed that the original setup on this boat has a 4:1 block and tackle inside the boom for the outhaul. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the block and tackle and running straight line. All lines are led aft to cleats and winches. Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of the block and tackle? I feel like it just gets in the way, could potentially snag one of the reefing lines and is impossible to service. I should be able to get plenty of leverage with a winch, am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 10-04-2013
djodenda's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, Washington
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 10
djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: CS36 Outhaul

If you get rid of the blocks, then the full tension of the outhaul will be carried through your gooseneck, which probably isn't a good thing.
__________________
David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 10-04-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Nias is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Outhaul

Hmm.. that's something to consider. Although I'm not sure that's reason the manufacturer installed the blocks. The reef lines don't have the block and tackle system. And although they don't see the same loads I would bet that they aren't too far off. I want to say the purchase is there more for racers who want adjust the outhaul more frequently and quickly but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 10-04-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 628
Thanks: 4
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Rep Power: 8
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Outhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nias View Post
I am replacing some worn sheaves and running rigging on my CS36T. I noticed that the original setup on this boat has a 4:1 block and tackle inside the boom for the outhaul. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the block and tackle and running straight line. All lines are led aft to cleats and winches. Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of the block and tackle? I feel like it just gets in the way, could potentially snag one of the reefing lines and is impossible to service. I should be able to get plenty of leverage with a winch, am I missing something?
Lots of boat with direct outhaul and reef lines.
Unless the sheave at the goose neck is weaker than the sheave at the boom end it should not be any problem.

The load at boom end sheave is 2x the load of the rope (180 degree angle)
At the goose neck sheave the load is 1.41x (90 degree angle)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 10-04-2013
Alex W's Avatar
always busy with sailing
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,075
Thanks: 2
Thanked 121 Times in 116 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Outhaul

I find it hard to ease the outhaul in nicely controlled amounts when it is run directly with no mechanical advantage to a clutch. The main on my 29' boat is probably half the size of the main on your 36' boat.

With the 5:1 tackle on my boat it is pretty easy to make small adjustments.
__________________
boats that I sail on regularly: Pearson 28-2, Rondar 505, Yankee 30, Blanchard Junior
Seattle, WA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 10-04-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 628
Thanks: 4
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Rep Power: 8
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Outhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I find it hard to ease the outhaul in nicely controlled amounts when it is run directly with no mechanical advantage to a clutch. The main on my 29' boat is probably half the size of the main on your 36' boat.

With the 5:1 tackle on my boat it is pretty easy to make small adjustments.
Mine is a little bit larger than the OP's it's 38'
The 1:1 outhaul go through a clutch to a winch.
If easing under load is a problem just take some turns on the winch drum before opening the clutch. Adjust and close the clutch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 10-05-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Nias is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Outhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Mine is a little bit larger than the OP's it's 38'
The 1:1 outhaul go through a clutch to a winch.
If easing under load is a problem just take some turns on the winch drum before opening the clutch. Adjust and close the clutch.
Yes, exactly. That is how I would usually adjust the outhaul.

So I'm guessing that the purchase is there to be able to make adjustments without having to resort to a winch? I haven't tried the 1:1 under a heavy load yet but in moderate conditions, no problem getting desired tension or easing with the winch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 10-05-2013
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,604
Thanks: 67
Thanked 178 Times in 174 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: CS36 Outhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nias View Post
Yes, exactly. That is how I would usually adjust the outhaul.

So I'm guessing that the purchase is there to be able to make adjustments without having to resort to a winch? I haven't tried the 1:1 under a heavy load yet but in moderate conditions, no problem getting desired tension or easing with the winch.
You can go to single part if you're using a winch and a clutch, but adjustments will be easier either way with the tackle.
Alex W likes this.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CS36 Merlin PalmettoSailor Boat Review and Purchase Forum 21 03-27-2014 04:26 PM
CS36 head intake vented loop Nias CS Yachts 4 10-21-2013 11:07 AM
Cs36 I NEED HELP !!!!! soyuz General Discussion (sailing related) 4 08-09-2012 08:55 PM
Need Bristol 27 outhaul ChadwickGore Gear & Maintenance 1 07-16-2012 11:54 AM
Todays new boat copmarable to C&C Landfall 38 or CS36? Sonofasonofasailor Boat Review and Purchase Forum 6 09-07-2008 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.