SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CS36 Outhaul

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I am replacing some worn sheaves and running rigging on my CS36T. I noticed that the original setup on this boat has a 4:1 block and tackle inside the boom for the outhaul. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the block and tackle and running straight line. All lines are led aft to cleats and winches. Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of the block and tackle? I feel like it just gets in the way, could potentially snag one of the reefing lines and is impossible to service. I should be able to get plenty of leverage with a winch, am I missing something?

#2 ·
If you get rid of the blocks, then the full tension of the outhaul will be carried through your gooseneck, which probably isn't a good thing.

#3 ·
Hmm.. that's something to consider. Although I'm not sure that's reason the manufacturer installed the blocks. The reef lines don't have the block and tackle system. And although they don't see the same loads I would bet that they aren't too far off. I want to say the purchase is there more for racers who want adjust the outhaul more frequently and quickly but I could be wrong.

#4 ·
Lots of boat with direct outhaul and reef lines.
Unless the sheave at the goose neck is weaker than the sheave at the boom end it should not be any problem.

The load at boom end sheave is 2x the load of the rope (180 degree angle)
At the goose neck sheave the load is 1.41x (90 degree angle)

#5 ·
I find it hard to ease the outhaul in nicely controlled amounts when it is run directly with no mechanical advantage to a clutch. The main on my 29' boat is probably half the size of the main on your 36' boat.

With the 5:1 tackle on my boat it is pretty easy to make small adjustments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.