SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Roaches !!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104427-roaches.html)

groundhog 10-04-2013 07:33 PM

Roaches !!!

There are roaches walking around on the dock at night here.
Others have asked me if I have seen any on my boat. Until now
I haven't. But my 17 year old crew member reports that she squashed
two of them already.

I have been reading about roaches and getting rid of them.

What advice can you give me?

I read that they need. like, and hang around water. So that means
the bilge and maybe the kitchen sink, maybe the head. also.. water collects under the engine pan.

Is it possible for me to poison the bilge water?

bfloyd4445 10-04-2013 07:36 PM

Re: Roaches !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 1099039)
There are roaches walking around on the dock at night here.
Others have asked me if I have seen any on my boat. Until now
I haven't. But my 17 year old crew member reports that she squashed
two of them already.

I have been reading about roaches and getting rid of them.

What advice can you give me?

I read that they need. like, and hang around water. So that means
the bilge and maybe the kitchen sink, maybe the head. also.. water collects under the engine pan.

Is it possible for me to poison the bilge water?

only one way I know and that is powdered boric acid, not granulated like sold for eye wash but powdered. Get at the drug store. Sprinkle it around where they have been seen and put up with the white dust for a month and then they will all be gone never to return unless you bring them home again.

wavedancer38 10-04-2013 07:57 PM

Roaches !!!

They might we water bugs. Are they large and black? Roaches dont usually like water.

scottie55 10-04-2013 08:04 PM

Insects on a sailboat is the worst.

bfloyd4445 10-04-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie55 (Post 1099065)
Insects on a sailboat is the worst.

ah, I get it you mean inlaws...:)

desert rat 10-04-2013 08:41 PM

Vinegar in the bilge water would make it poisonous for any insect, even la cucaracha.

zeehag 10-04-2013 09:40 PM

roaches and waterbugs are same same same whether big red b-52s or lil brown german omg yer done now nasties, or what ever varietal of the day you found, they are roaches. guess what--you gotta tent to rid self of all of em. sad to say. they adapt and you never get them out of your boat unless you sink and refloat , tent,or burn it to water line. seems to me the easiest is to tent it.

oh,and the magic stuff is borax. but you will still have em despite this ..or any other stuff until you sink, burn, or tent your boat.

boz86 10-04-2013 10:00 PM

boric acid will get them .... eventually

asdf38 10-04-2013 10:02 PM

Well they need to eat. How much time do you spend on your boat? Get rid of all the food and seal up any food that you do keep there.

bfloyd4445 10-04-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1099109)
roaches and waterbugs are same same same whether big red b-52s or lil brown german omg yer done now nasties, or what ever varietal of the day you found, they are roaches. guess what--you gotta tent to rid self of all of em. sad to say. they adapt and you never get them out of your boat unless you sink and refloat , tent,or burn it to water line. seems to me the easiest is to tent it.

oh,and the magic stuff is borax. but you will still have em despite this ..or any other stuff until you sink, burn, or tent your boat.

botic acid powder works like majic. I tried everything until I used boric acid without success