SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Reefing trouble

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  skysail 
#1 ·
Today was the first time I attempted to reef the mainsail. I have a two line reefing system, and the lines go through the boom. The sail has 2 reefs.
I tried to do the first reef, and I ended up pulling the entire line out of the boom.(the front line that connects to the luff of the sail, goes through the boom, and aft to the cockpit) Apparently the knot came loose off of the cringle and it shook back and forth in the very strong winds.
So I resorted to reef number 2 and all went well.

I arrived back at my slip, pulled out the inner block, eventually rethreaded the line, but not I'm entirely sure it's right, because the line is kind of stuck now, hard to pull.

How is this really fixed, the boom is riveted together. Does it need to be taken completely apart? Has this ever happened to anyone? Any advice on how to thread it properly?

#4 ·
Sounds like you're talking about the first reef tack line if it's the luff, unless as Mark says you have two lines total, ie single line reefing for each reef. That's the only scenario that requires the "tack" line go through the boom.

#9 ·
I'd say the reef line should be run up thru the reef cringle, down to the aftmost becket on the underside of the boom (btw, they both look a bit too far forward on the from this angle) If the tack lines are long enough you can similarly double those as well - or replace them with tack hooks.

The second reef the same, but to the forward becket.

With the lines tied off on the boom (a tight bowline) it's far less likely to get shaken loose, and you get a doubling (albeit high friction) of power on the reef line.

If the line feels difficult to pull now that it's been re-run, it's likely you've wrapped it around another or have some other un-fair lead going on in there. (your outhaul is likely a multipart tackle internal to the boom.. easy to snag a part of that)

Maybe pull it back out and use a plumbing snake to pull the line through the boom cleanly...

#10 ·
Sounds like the newly reeved line for your first reef is crossed somehow inside the boom. It could be twisted around itself or around the other reefing line. The best fix will probably be to pull it out and try again. To keep it clear of the second reefing line you may need to pull the second one tight inside the boom so it stays "up" and slide the first reefing line inside along the bottom of the boom. You don't mention how you re-reeved the reefing line the first time. There are a variety of ways that can work. A plumber's snake can be quick and definitive, because you know where each end goes: you put it through with the line attached and fish it out through the sheave you want it to go through. Tying a light messenger line to an iron nut, slipping that in and then drawing it along with a STRONG magnet might also work. Being conscious of the layout inside the boom and exactly where each line goes will help keep things from getting twisted a second time.

#11 ·
Yes, that second picture is old but everything has been put together and adjusted.

What I did was pull what I think is called the balance block out of the back of the boom. I then took a life line off(that's all I had that was stiff enough), connect the line and fed it through the front of the boom, and came out the back. Then I routed it back through the balance block, back into the boom, and fed it all back out through the front. I then put the balance block back into the boom, and tried to pull it back to about where I thought it was. This is probably where it got tangled.

There is an out haul, topping lift(which I will probably get rid of) and the second reef that is also going through the boom... oh and a birds nest:rolleyes:

#13 ·
Your boom looks to be the same as mine old one.
You should be able to look inside the boom and see the lines there.
Need a torch (not to big with good light).
Look into the hole at the boom end.
To be clear... he means a flashlight!! ;)

#16 ·
You should be able to see if any of the lines are crossed inside.
It might be good to have a helper pulling the different lines while you are looking inside.

If you have two line reef - I doubt there are any balance blocks there.
The blocks you see are most likely to be purchase for the outhaul.

#20 ·
So what I am getting out of this is that I have single reef line with a balance block. I only use one line to reef from the cockpit.

One line for reef number 1 which is on the starboard side of the cockpit, and one line for reef number 2 on the port side.

My boom vang holds up the whole boom like the topping lift. I raised it up a little, dropped the mainsail, and pulled reef number 1 from the cockpit. This is where I pulled out the line, where it was not tied properly to the luff. So I then resorted to reef number 2, raised the sail, and all went well.

I really appreciate everyones help. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.