Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-07-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Which Smartphone for Sailing

I have tried to search for updated information on sailing apps and adaptability, but much of the information on non-iPhone apps and phones on these forums is old, and the market has jumped ahead in the last year.

So, my question is.... Which smartphone do you prefer for general use while sailing? This includes not only the availability of apps and map programs, but also the ease of use while sailing, screen brightness and limitations in the bright sun on the water, durability on the boat, and adaptability to any on-board electronics you may be connected to.

I have used the iPhone for several years, but with the new OS have found it slow, difficult, and buggy, and an now considering switching to an Android, or even a Windows phone, but don't know what is available for these platforms. I use navigation and charts on my phone as a convenient back up, multiple weather and wind applications, and even compass and race timing apps.

Any suggestions? Happy with your? Unhappy? Tell me why.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: Which Smartphone for Sailing

I've got little experience with sailing related apps but I do know that Samsung sells a phone that's water resistant to a few feet if that helps
Old 10-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I know most everyone who has an iPhone loves it but I find the screen to small. I would go with a Samsung, Galaxy 3 or larger. Especially if you use a nav app

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

most tablets get GPS .. I have a nexus 7 I run gps stuff on and my phone .. . .I talk on it.

I have a smart phone but really I dont use it for anything anymore
Old 10-07-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
most tablets get GPS .. I have a nexus 7 I run gps stuff on and my phone .. . .I talk on it.

I have a smart phone but really I dont use it for anything anymore
Which navigation app do you use on the Nexus? I assume the app could be used for any android phone as well.

I tend to agree with Chef. When it first came out, the iPhone was a great alternative to carrying about the larger iPad, but now there are so many options in that intermediate range around 7" that are much easier to view than the iPhone, and not as bulky as the iPad. Maybe that's the way to go for now.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 10-07-2013

Jaxin is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out the articles and information posted on the Active Captain website. Jeff is a super-geek when it comes to stuff like this...and I'm pretty sure he would be happy to answer any questions you may have (after reading through his articles). Article location: https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php
Hope this helps in your decision process!
Old 10-07-2013

npettett is on a distinguished road
I use Navionics USA on a Samsung Note 2. Screen brightness I'd rate 4 on a 10 scale. Keep the phone dry, waterproof cases are available. Haven't had any software issues. Also use an AIS App.
Old 10-07-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxin View Post
You might want to check out the articles and information posted on the Active Captain website. Jeff is a super-geek when it comes to stuff like this...and I'm pretty sure he would be happy to answer any questions you may have (after reading through his articles). Article location: https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ones/intro.php
Hope this helps in your decision process!
Thanks. Read that article and the ideas are helpful, but phones have come a long way since the Palm OS and Blackberry talked about in that article.

Also considered the Samsung Note. I'll have a look at the navigation apps for that phone.
Old 10-07-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Windows Phone is sadly a little light on sailing apps. It doesn't have a Navionics port for instance or iNavX, or anything quite similar.

On the other hand it does have the "Nautical Charts" app, which is a phone version of the deepzoom.com website. It requires data access but is extremely useful for planning and checking tides. That website and the phone app have my favorite view of tides and currents by far.

I like my inexpensive Nokia 521 quite a bit, and by being inexpensive insurance was also dirt cheap ($20 for 2 years, which includes replacement if I get the device wet). That is pretty handy for sailing.
Old 10-07-2013

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

I use an IPad down stairs @ nav station only for pre-departure route planing, race instructions, etc. I do not use it for actual navigation, the GPS does that.

Few phones/tablets will take a splash without a third party case. None that I know of are sunlight viewable.

Re: the apps, I care most about waypoint and route management. Entry of course info from a race circular, loading all that into the GPS. Of the several charting apps I've tried, I've found most seriously lacking re: sensible waypoint and route management (lack pick lists, instead heavy on often gratuitous graphical eye candy). My current choice is iSailGPS. Waypoint and route management approximates a reasonable chart plotter, it can export to a GPX file.

I've also found I prefer raster charts. Chart features will not appear/disappear with zoom level.

Last edited by WoobaGooba; 10-07-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.