SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sail size? Can you tell what it is?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ltgoshen 
#1 ·
I need some help to identify what size sail this is? It will almost reach the rear winch?
Thanks for your help

See less See more
#2 ·
It is easy to measure a sail. You measure from the tack to the about the middle of the luff. You swing your tape and get the longest measurement. A 100% jib will have an "LP" equal to the "J" length. If your J is 10 feet and you measure 15 feet you have a 150% sail.

It looks big, like maybe a 170% ?

#14 ·
We have very light winds here In Beaufort in the summer. Is this a drifter Genoa? is it used for super light air conditions? How in the world would one tack this big sail? is it used for sailing close to the wind or on a run? this is a hank on boat no fellers here?

#5 ·
Before the days of "Code X" designations, we'd have called that a light air 170.. IMO not a useful enough sail to keep on board.. nice looking, though.

#9 ·
You can make it smaller, but the cloth's so light it wouldn't be any good in any sort of breeze anyway..

Make a good campsite fly though... ;)

#7 ·
I sailed on a boat with a real deck sweeper of a 150 for a while. Here is a photo (though the sail is on the far side, so it's hard to see just how low it was):

We often had a lighter member of crew sitting on the low side who could see around the sail. It was helpful if the same person could be on the helm, because then they could also sail to the tells.

It's not ideal, but we would do this on a crowded lake with all sorts of traffic. Sometimes we'd also deploy a crew member up front, but only if really necessary because that really screws up air flow over the sails.

That sail was also made as a 170% light air sail for some 26' boat with a short J. It worked out very nicely as about a 150-155% sail on the Catalina 25 with a tall mast.

#10 ·
From what I've read, back in the 70's the boats were designed with a large fore sail and a smaller main. By observation, this is correct. We have a 150% genoa that we use for all occasions. A roller furler reduces in stronger breezes but this only works to a point. At about 30% rolled, the foil screws up the airflow and effectiveness plunges. So, don't discard the ol girl just yet. I'd find a used furler ans breath new life into her.

#12 ·
Gary's technique for measuring is correct.
(after correction)
Also, don't listen to all the people who are telling you that sail's useless.
Your boat looks like a mid-70's C&C, or similar?

I sail regularly in light winds, on Lake Erie.
I have a 167% original genoa that I use when the wind is too light to move the boat adequately with the 150%.
I agree with whoever said it's not worth the 6 second penalty, but for a non-racer, it makes a great sail to have if you're out on the lake in a light patch...

Enjoy!!

#15 ·
That's the answer I was looking for. My boat is a 1981 C&C 30-MK1 and she don't do well in the light stuff. She really likes the wind between 14 - 20.
Just not sure, it seemed so big. The boat is kind of new to me and this large sail is a bit intimidation… I guess I would keep it close hulled and keep the sail inside the life-line right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.