SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buying a 2001 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey and want to add AC

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  capecodda 
#1 ·
Looking at buying a 2001 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40' and want to add AC, is it possible and what do you think the cost will be?

Do you think there is a location in the cabin to locate a new unit?

#4 · (Edited)
I watched a charter company rip out the ducting and units on a 43' Jeanneau and was amazed at how much of it there was. I had AC on my Jeanneau 43DS and the ductwork and 2 units took up a lot of potential storage space - plus the generator needs to be capable of driving the units unless you wish to exclusively use AC while at a dock.
Unless the boat you that you are looking at is otherwise perfect, it might be simpler to find a similar model that already has AC installed.

Now that I think about it, a 12 year old AC system might be in need of some TLC! The 2 people for 2 days is a pretty low estimate of the time required to install it, if you can get a quote that low I'd jump at it.

p.s. You might have some luck on the Jeanneau Owner's Forum as there are several avid do-it-yourselfers there as well as owners who had modifications done.

#6 ·
As noted, huge difference between ducting it around the boat and having a single vent and return. I think on a 40, you would wish you had ducting, but not an absolute. You may even wish you had more than one unit.

One key is to try to avoid having the compressor and/or air handler, if a split system, near your head while sleeping. Ask me how I know!

While we run the AC (heat too btw) at the dock, we only run it at anchorage on a very occassional basis. At anchor, wind blows through the boat, as you're always facing it. Not always the case at the dock. It really comes in handy at the dock, when doing chores or projects. Those are rare at anchorage too.

We have three units. I only run the one in the master stateroom when showering. What a difference to get out of the shower to a cool room, not just start sweating before dried from the shower. However, at night, we leave the door open and rely on the salon unit to keep us cool. Too noisey to sleep with it on.

#7 ·
We have a small air conditioner in our 38, and no genset. IMHO this is a fine arrangement, when we had a boat the size of mini's, we had a genset and found we hardly ever ran it at anchor...same reasoning (warning: we are northern sailors, and view heat at anchor as essential, AC not so much).

The unit is in the main salon, it did take away some nice storage. We ran duct work 2 directions, one to the middle of the main salon, the other to the forward berth.

I'd be surprised if it you couldn't find a good place for one in the Jeanneau.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.