SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outboard Carb question

686 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SantaAna12 
#1 ·
I took my Nissan 5b carb off, soaked it, blew it out, re-assembled it and it ran great! Two days later the carb was seeping fuel, and it started to run crappy. I did the same for my extra carb ( I have a parts motor).....same results. I am definitely no carb guru, but my previous Honda motorcycle, VW, and this same outboard carb adventures ended without these symptoms.
I am about to order a 83.00(ouch on my current boat budget) rebuild kit, but was hoping someone might steer me in the right direction.
Both carbs were in great shape, the bowl gaskets good, and the floats did float with no visible pinholes.
Any ideas appreciated!

#2 ·
Hey Santana,

I have rebuilt hundreds of outboard carbs (used to be a pro marine mechanic) and you will always suffer continued headaches with the quick soaks, blow out, air nozzles, spray cleaners etc..

Bear down, buy the kit, do it correctly ONE time. Re-install that carb, see the results, big smile, then do the same thing to your backup.

Just keep telling yourself "failure on the water is NOT an option".

Dave

#3 ·
Thanks Dave. Good solid answer. I appreciate it.

I am curious why they both failed the same way. Both seeping from the bowl...both idle good, but upon coming up off idle circuit bog? Both carbs? Any ideas on this anyone? I might take this motor cruising one day, and would like to know more about this.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.