Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
Re: Volvo MD6A weird issue!

I'm not headed down to the boat until later this week. I'll know more then. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep ya posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013

I was able to get away today and head to the boat. My first attempt to diagnose the issue was to isolate the ignition switch, to determine if the problem was further up stream of if I need a new key switch. With the engine running I removed the wires from the ignition, and nothing changed. It seemed that this meant the issue might be in the solenoid of the starter (as stated above).

I removed the starter / generator from the engine and took it to be tested. NO issue with the starter, however this particular model doesn't have a solenoid, but the starter motor worked as it should.

My next step was to follow the positive cable from the starter, as a mechanic told me there is a pretty good chance the solenoid is external and between the starter motor and the key switch -- BINGO!

On the lazarette bulkhead I found this:

All signs are pointing to this little devil being the culprit of my problem. It's a $30 dollar part, and when dealing with a Volvo, that ain't bad!

I was able to bypass this solenoid / relay and I'm now getting power to the starter - As I should. Now, I won't know for sure if this is the only fault in the system until I replace it and try again but that's for another day.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the follow up... btw you should be able to check this item.. the two small spades are going to be the coil input (12 V on/off from start switch), the heavier terminals will be contacts that handle the higher amps of the starter itself. Put 12 V across the coil and an ohmmeter will 'prove' if the contacts are closing as they should. Do this out of circuit, of course

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Looks like any (Ford) solenoid would do and cheaper too.
Old 10-20-2013

So I'm having trouble finding the same unit (not surprising!). I've been searching high and low, but I can't seem to find it.

The part I need is this:
Bosch 0 332 002 155
http://rb-aa.bosch.com/boaarocs/inde...33&prod_id=842

But I can only find this part:
Bosh 0 332 002 156
http://rb-aa.bosch.com/boaarocs/inde...33&prod_id=114

My question is this: Can I use the ...156 in place of the ...155 part? There are a few differences (ie, resistive load, response release voltage, etc.), but how will this effect the system? I am a civil engineer, not an electrical engineer so this really isn't in my wheel house!

And I've found some back history to my situation:http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discu.../5/132669.html
Old 11-03-2013

To follow up with this issue. I was at the boat yesterday and replaced the relay with Bosh part# 0 332 002 156. BINGO! The old relay was the issue. The new one worked as it should have.

After thinking about how I may have caused this issue (so history hopefully won't repeat itself), I've come to the conclusion that I fried the old relay when I started the engine with the crank handle and forgot to turn on the key. The dumb thing is that I didn't need to start the engine with the crank - curiosity killed the cat.

Anyway, thanks for your help and although, Volvo md6's are becoming increasingly rare, hopefully someone will find this conclusion helpful.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.