SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Alodine (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104622-alodine.html)

JSailer 10-11-2013 06:31 PM

Alodine

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with Alodine 1201?
I need to know if a piece of aluminum tubing underwater would be protected enough from corrosion with Alodine treatment.

I would like to have it anodized but I cannot find anyone in my area who does that so I am looking into Alodine as another option.

Thanks.

Delezynski 10-11-2013 06:55 PM

Re: Alodine

I have used Alodine 1201 in the military on aircraft, and on my boat. I do NOT think it would be useful for underwater application. Just not enough protection.

What are you trying to make?

Greg

Irunbird 10-11-2013 07:28 PM

Agreed- not enough protection for below waterline. I've immersed countless helicopter and jet parts in the stuff prior to painting with a very toxic (and no longer in use) primer- polyamide or zinc chromate as an anti-corrosive prior to finish coating in either a lacquer for interior parts or two-part polyurethane for exterior surfaces. One option you may consider is coating with West System epoxy, then painting if necessary. Here's a table summarizing the technique for that process- WEST SYSTEM - Projects - Effects of surface treatments on adhesion to metals

JSailer 10-11-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delezynski (Post 1103102)
I have used Alodine 1201 in the military on aircraft, and on my boat. I do NOT think it would be useful for underwater application. Just not enough protection.

What are you trying to make?

Greg

Thank you for the replies.
I need to replace the tube that the centerboard cable goes through.
It is about 8 inches into the keel and goes through the cabin up to the deck.
It's 1.5 in OD with 1/8 wall.
About 3 feet would be under water (by that, I mean saltwater will be inside the tube at all time up to the waterline).

Markwesti 10-11-2013 08:54 PM

Hi JSailer , why not use SS tube and make sure its seamless . I had a O'Day 23 once . O'Day makes a good boat .

Delezynski 10-11-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSailer (Post 1103145)
Thank you for the replies.
I need to replace the tube that the centerboard cable goes through.
It is about 8 inches into the keel and goes through the cabin up to the deck.
It's 1.5 in OD with 1/8 wall.
About 3 feet would be under water (by that, I mean saltwater will be inside the tube at all time up to the waterline).

JSailer,

Have you considered some other material, other than a metal tube?

I have never had a swing keel so I am on shaky ground, but I might think about something like a reinforced exhaust hose?????? Just thinking outside the box.

Greg

CalebD 10-11-2013 10:20 PM

The C/B pennant on my Tartan 27' runs through some sort of black hose to the C/B trunk. There is salt water in the bottom of it only.

MarkSF 10-11-2013 11:35 PM

In my opinion, the best metal would be bronze. But maybe some kind of plastic or polymer would work? Here is what McMasterCarr can do :

McMaster-Carr

How about PTFE-filled delrin?

What was the old tube made of?

JSailer 10-12-2013 12:16 AM

The original tube is aluminum and lasted 35 years and is just now starting to go...
I had been advised to stay with Aluminum.
I considered SS but was told I might have bigger corrosion concerns with it. I am not a metal expert (obviously) but i have seen SS fittings or parts corrode underwater in short period of time before so I am not convinced SS will be the answer but I am still open to that idea.
My concern is the area right by the waterline sloshing in and out of water/air.

Also, the tube has to be rigid and solid because it goes through the cabin table and I offers some stability, and it also offers some support to the cabin top.

JSailer 10-12-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 1103185)
The C/B pennant on my Tartan 27' runs through some sort of black hose to the C/B trunk. There is salt water in the bottom of it only.

This boat does not have a trunk in the cabin.
The tube goea down to the top of the keel just below the cabin sole which is about 2 to 3 feet below the waterline.