SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What kind of interior finish (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104626-what-kind-interior-finish.html)

Dave_E 10-11-2013 11:38 PM

What kind of interior finish

Hi All,

The interior of the Allmand does not need a redo... it just needs a good cleaning. The interior is all teak with the standard "redish brown" look to it (same as you see on exterior toe rails, companionway boards, trim etc.). What cleaner should I use on this stuff?

OK, while I'm at it, what is the stuff everyone uses on the exterior wood? My toe rails need it bad. I tried regular oil... that ain't it! Some sort of varnish I'm sure.

Dave

jimgo 10-12-2013 01:32 AM

Re: What kind of interior finish

This gets discussed a lot here. Some are fans of just letting the wood go grey. Some like to clean with teak brighteners and then use oil. Some like Sikkens Cetol, especially the natural teak. Some like varnish.

Some will disagree with me, but I've listed them in roughly the order of increasing complexity and increasing durability. Cleaning and oiling teak is a PITA, but it really looks beautiful when it's done. The problem is, it doesn't last that long. If you keep on top of it, the maintenance isn't THAT bad, but you're setting yourself up for a day's worth of work every 4-6 months. Cetol and Varnish are even more of a PITA to apply. You typically have to sand down to smooth, add a sanding sealer, then sand again. Apply a first (thinned, in the case of varnish) coat. Wait some period of time typically measured in many hours. Apply a second (less thinned in the case of varnish) coat. Wait some period of time typically measured in many hours. Wet sand if necessary. For Cetol, you go at least 3-4 layers plus a top coat if you want the high gloss. For varnish, you go 5-10 layers. Cetol has a reputation for not lasting quite as long as varnish, but it's still pretty durable.

Minnewaska 10-12-2013 06:24 AM

I use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean down below.

Let's see, it was the beginning of last season where I decided to strip all the exterior brightwork down to bear and let it grey. I only apply varnish to the cockpit table and Bristol Finish to the cockpit coaming and some other cockpit trim pieces. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I do!! And the maintenance involves a good cleaning once per year, with interim salt water scrubbing only.

If I can take the piece home, I use varnish. If I have to do it on the boat, I use Bristol Finish for two reasons. I think it looks closest to varnish, but more importantly, you can recoat within one hour. That allows you to fully coat in one day. Otherwise, its not just the multiple days of drying, sanding, recoating, its having enough in a row with good weather.

jameswilson29 10-12-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_E (Post 1103214)
Hi All,

The interior of the Allmand does not need a redo... it just needs a good cleaning. The interior is all teak with the standard "redish brown" look to it (same as you see on exterior toe rails, companionway boards, trim etc.). What cleaner should I use on this stuff?

OK, while I'm at it, what is the stuff everyone uses on the exterior wood? My toe rails need it bad. I tried regular oil... that ain't it! Some sort of varnish I'm sure.

Dave

This year, I sponged off my interior teak laminate with water, then oiled with lemon oil. It looks good and has a pleasant odor.

My outside teak was treated with West Marine teak oil to attain a dark saturated look, also staining parts of the deck. It returned to its regular grey color after about a month and the stains on the deck disappeared. I am not sure I will treat the exterior teak again.

Sabreman 10-12-2013 01:14 PM

I find that wiping the interior with any oil looks good for a time but eventually needs to be re done. Many oils attract dirt and make the wood look even worse after a number of years. This was certainly the case with our boat. I cleaned the wood with acetone and a scrubby, sanding lightly afterward. The finish is MinWax Satin in low wear areas and MinWax Spar Urethane for high wear areas like handholds or the table. I applied 4 coats and only wipe with a damp clot on occasion. IMO, this was far easier than applying oil each year.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psda678af0.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ps2f191542.jpg

jameswilson29 10-14-2013 09:22 AM

Looks good! I am not sure my boat's mixture of teak veneers, plastics and solid teak would ever turn out so well with a satin finish...

Sabreman 10-14-2013 10:36 AM

Send me a PM with pictures and I might be able to tell. Our boat has a mixture of veneer, solid wood, and plastic. It's pretty typical for the era.

jameswilson29 10-14-2013 11:14 AM

Thanks. This video shows it all starting at the :60 mark:

azguy 10-14-2013 12:15 PM

Sabreman, that interior is beautiful !!!!

Sabreman 10-14-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks. This video shows it all starting at the :60 mark:
The boat will take a finish nicely. It will need some cleaning, but should come out really nice. The little pieces of trim around the counters and the overhead handholds will just pop with high gloss finish. Pretty easy if you take your time.

Suggestion: Do one area at a time, complete it, then move to the next. That way, it won't be so daunting. Our boat had NO finish except for 20 years of dirt and some sort of oil on top. After replacing the bulkhead in the head, I had to rebuild some cabinetry, so the head got finished first, then I moved to the V Berth, then the cabinets across from the head, then the main salon, then the galley. It took 3 seasons but breaking it up made it manageable. I just didn't want to spend a whole summer refinishing - I wanted to sail.

Too many people are afraid of finishing - you honestly have to work at messing up modern finishes, they're that forgiving. I just didn't want to do the same job each year putting on an oil finish (on an already oily wood). I'd rather do it once and go sailing.