SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Good Boat availability theory (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104657-good-boat-availability-theory.html)

davidpm 10-12-2013 09:37 PM

Good Boat availability theory

I was on N dock today taking Charlie out for a spin again. Twenty gusting to 25, yes I did figure out the reefing.

N dock is 95% a sailing dock. They even have a N dock flag. Never head of that before but it is pretty cool.

Anyway I ran into a old sailor 80+ who had his boat for sale a couple weeks ago. I was really impressed as the boat was very well cared for.

He mentioned that the boat had sold and that the guy who bought it had a boat a Catalina 30 just a couple slips over for sale.
The C30 I found out was being offered for 10k. It seemed to be in pretty decent shape, diesel, canvas, gel etc.
I looked it up on like and C30's on yacht world go for from 15 to 30k.

So I figured the trade up guy is figuring. 2k for winter storage, 1.5k for broker, he would probably loose another 1k somehow so he is letting the word out that his boat is for sale for 10k.
It probably would be worth it to him to not own two boats.

I wonder how many of the best boats are sold like this, just local dock knowledge?
Probably a lot.

swampcreek 10-12-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Good Boat availability theory

We bought our boat just as it hit the market, it was much cleaner than orher boats of its age and price range. Just take warning you're always going to hear of better deals down the road but if you're comfortable with what you bought you've made a good deal. Good luck!

fiatracer163 10-12-2013 10:21 PM

Where is the boat located?

antifiat 10-13-2013 04:21 PM

Good Boat availability theory

I concur with Swampcreek. If you feel comfortable with the deal you make, just leave it at that. We too purchased our boat just as it came up for sale. There were other deals for similar boats but our purchase met the qualifications.

davidpm 10-13-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiatracer163 (Post 1103657)
Where is the boat located?

Pilots Point Brewers Westbrook CT "N" dock about half way down on right. "scott fee"

I haven't been inside yet but can probably track down someone who knows the owner.

It is supposed to be listed on some fsbo site but I don't know which one.

garyguss 10-13-2013 08:43 PM

In my world all of the really good boats become available right after you buy some hulk and start fixing it up

swampcreek 10-13-2013 10:11 PM

If you're serious then look at as many boats as you can fit into your schedule while you find the owner of this boat. Look at ones just like it as well as other kinds too. With the economy the way it is you may end up with your next purchase for quite a while. We looked at many many boats when we went shopping last year and ended up buying a different model than we originally planned.