SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   1st Summer With Mantus Anchor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104662-1st-summer-mantus-anchor.html)

swampcreek 10-13-2013 01:18 AM

1st Summer With Mantus Anchor

I'm posting this incase anyone is beating themselves up on an anchor purchase as I was just last Winter. Maybe this will help...or add MORE confusion.

During the Winter of 2012/2013 we bought a 35# Mantus Anchor for our Catalina 320. We used it all Summer including our 1 week sailing vacation on the mid Chesapeake Bay (We anchored every night except one on that trip). From my experience I am very comfortable with it's performance, we spent quite a few nights in different bottom types (being the Chessy it was mostly mud, super slimey mud and sand). At times we anchored in some pretty brisk and gusty winds, when doing this I would lower the anchor scope out the rode and cleat it off, the anchor would set itself, I would of course hit reverse and make sure it set good, she always held on the first try. We are very happy with it.

SlowButSteady 10-13-2013 01:29 AM

Re: 1st Summer With Mantus Anchor

Do you have any observations regarding the anchor's ability to reset after a change in current and/or wind direction?

Faster 10-13-2013 01:48 AM

And how about difficult retrievals?

swampcreek 10-13-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowButSteady (Post 1103723)
Do you have any observations regarding the anchor's ability to reset after a change in current and/or wind direction?

Not as far as 180 deg. so I know it never had to reset itslf during our use but when deploying I just lowered it, cleated off and she dug right in (Again I always made sure it was set by hitting reverse). I believe it would have no problem resetting itself. It was always a 1st shot success.

swampcreek 10-13-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1103727)
And how about difficult retrievals?

That was my biggest fear (besides it not holding). I thought wow, look at that big shovel, I'll be dredging half the bay bottom up with that! Actually I used the windlass the first few times, even in calm weather. After only seeing maybe a small clump here and there I was pleasantly surprised that I could retreave this by hand with no problem (At deeper depths I took a little break after she broke free and was off the bottom). One time we were in super SUPER slimey black mud I had a worse time getting the chain clean than the anchor! I imagine it dumps out the back as you come off the bottom.

UncleJim 10-13-2013 04:51 PM

I just bought my second Mantus anchor. I had a chain and pilot failure that caused the first one to go mia. Never had a problem with it setting first time and retreavel was also very easy. I was even able to 'toss' it off of the stern and set it to pull us off a soft grounding.

Rhapsody-NS27 10-13-2013 05:20 PM

Good to know. I just bought one in Annapolis yesterday. I was going to go for 35lbs but seeing the size of it, I didn't think it would fit on the bowsprit very well so I went with 25lbs. It still looks bigger than what I already have so I'm looking forward to using it.

UncleJim 10-13-2013 09:10 PM

Daniel
when I was talking with the Mantus people the topic came up of using the anchor with out the roll bar. Sems the roll bar aids the most in rocky bottom conditions. Don't know what type of issue you have with the bowsprit but it might be worth checking into.

btw, did you stop and chat at the Hunter Owners Association booth? your avatar looks like some one I talked with yesterday

Rhapsody-NS27 10-13-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJim (Post 1104026)
Daniel
when I was talking with the Mantus people the topic came up of using the anchor with out the roll bar. Sems the roll bar aids the most in rocky bottom conditions. Don't know what type of issue you have with the bowsprit but it might be worth checking into.

btw, did you stop and chat at the Hunter Owners Association booth? your avatar looks like some one I talked with yesterday

No, I didn't go by there at all.

I have seen pictures of others who have their anchor hanging. That might be possible.

FranklinGray 11-06-2013 04:38 PM

Some of you may have read my posts on another forum so I'll keep this short. I've been on the Mantus (45 lb on Hunter 376) anchor for about a total of 80 days this year including hurricane Sandy at 100 knots of wind. It's an awesome anchor.

I wish everybody had one. I could sleep better at nights if they did. For those of you upgrading from an old style anchor, please don't drop it off at the resale shop, drop it off at the recycling plant :)