Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
1st Summer With Mantus Anchor

I'm posting this incase anyone is beating themselves up on an anchor purchase as I was just last Winter. Maybe this will help...or add MORE confusion.

During the Winter of 2012/2013 we bought a 35# Mantus Anchor for our Catalina 320. We used it all Summer including our 1 week sailing vacation on the mid Chesapeake Bay (We anchored every night except one on that trip). From my experience I am very comfortable with it's performance, we spent quite a few nights in different bottom types (being the Chessy it was mostly mud, super slimey mud and sand). At times we anchored in some pretty brisk and gusty winds, when doing this I would lower the anchor scope out the rode and cleat it off, the anchor would set itself, I would of course hit reverse and make sure it set good, she always held on the first try. We are very happy with it.
smackdaddy likes this.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to swampcreek For This Useful Post:
Mantus Anchors (11-06-2013)
Old 10-13-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Summer With Mantus Anchor

Do you have any observations regarding the anchor's ability to reset after a change in current and/or wind direction?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

And how about difficult retrievals?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Do you have any observations regarding the anchor's ability to reset after a change in current and/or wind direction?
Not as far as 180 deg. so I know it never had to reset itslf during our use but when deploying I just lowered it, cleated off and she dug right in (Again I always made sure it was set by hitting reverse). I believe it would have no problem resetting itself. It was always a 1st shot success.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
And how about difficult retrievals?
That was my biggest fear (besides it not holding). I thought wow, look at that big shovel, I'll be dredging half the bay bottom up with that! Actually I used the windlass the first few times, even in calm weather. After only seeing maybe a small clump here and there I was pleasantly surprised that I could retreave this by hand with no problem (At deeper depths I took a little break after she broke free and was off the bottom). One time we were in super SUPER slimey black mud I had a worse time getting the chain clean than the anchor! I imagine it dumps out the back as you come off the bottom.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Old 10-13-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

I just bought my second Mantus anchor. I had a chain and pilot failure that caused the first one to go mia. Never had a problem with it setting first time and retreavel was also very easy. I was even able to 'toss' it off of the stern and set it to pull us off a soft grounding.
Old 10-13-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Good to know. I just bought one in Annapolis yesterday. I was going to go for 35lbs but seeing the size of it, I didn't think it would fit on the bowsprit very well so I went with 25lbs. It still looks bigger than what I already have so I'm looking forward to using it.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 10-13-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Daniel
when I was talking with the Mantus people the topic came up of using the anchor with out the roll bar. Sems the roll bar aids the most in rocky bottom conditions. Don't know what type of issue you have with the bowsprit but it might be worth checking into.

btw, did you stop and chat at the Hunter Owners Association booth? your avatar looks like some one I talked with yesterday
Old 10-13-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJim View Post
Daniel
when I was talking with the Mantus people the topic came up of using the anchor with out the roll bar. Sems the roll bar aids the most in rocky bottom conditions. Don't know what type of issue you have with the bowsprit but it might be worth checking into.

btw, did you stop and chat at the Hunter Owners Association booth? your avatar looks like some one I talked with yesterday
No, I didn't go by there at all.

I have seen pictures of others who have their anchor hanging. That might be possible.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 11-06-2013

FranklinGray is on a distinguished road

Some of you may have read my posts on another forum so I'll keep this short. I've been on the Mantus (45 lb on Hunter 376) anchor for about a total of 80 days this year including hurricane Sandy at 100 knots of wind. It's an awesome anchor.

I wish everybody had one. I could sleep better at nights if they did. For those of you upgrading from an old style anchor, please don't drop it off at the resale shop, drop it off at the recycling plant
smackdaddy and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.