Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: FrankenBebi and Igor's contributions

After many conversations and a few beatings, Igor has been inveigled into "digging up" some unused web space and a few email addresses to avoid cluttering up the forum. You can access Igor's page here. While the page is pretty sparse right now, he has promised to do better when he can stuff 30 hours into the day. In the meantime, while we don't mind (at all) answering questions in this thread, he has posted an email address to contact the project directly with questions, general correspondence, and beta-tester requests. He has also decided (ok, we decided) to send out semi-regular emails updating the status of the project. Instructions on how to get on (or get off) the distribution list for "Igor's News" are also included on his page. He would not let us post a plain text version of the email addresses here as he worries about 'bots.

Thanks again SailNet for the support and encouragement.

Cap' Couillon and the FrankenBebi Project

Onboard - Solitaire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013
Noah's Bosun

Re: FrankenBebi

The FrankenBebi Project now has a newsletter available for those who would like to keep abreast of the project's status.

Onboard - Solitaire

Last edited by Cap-Couillon; 11-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Error 500: ****** Execution Failure
Description: The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. "

Good enough for government use, eh?
Old 11-08-2013
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

worked fine here.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 11-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And it works just fine here too--now.
Old 11-08-2013
Noah's Bosun

The server has and is experiencing some issues. Get what you pay for. Rather put the capital into parts for the prototypes than paid server space. We will continue to beat Igor till he gets it right :-)

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 11-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

In the interest of making life complicated...

Are the LEDs simply ;lit, constantly? Or have you considered pulsing them with PWM, or alternating back and forth (7-vs-8) so that they effectively used 1.4 to 1/2 of the power that a full-time-on set would use?

I know that could create RFI issues, but that should be surmountable, and as long as you've got components on a PCB anyhow...

And then maybe add an option to use the same light as a distress strobe or in an SOS pattern. (There must be a simple chip for that, given all the flashlights doing it.)
Old 11-08-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

It seems a pity for Bebi to be lost and I wonder if the owner has any plans to continue his work, or patents on his designs. It may be that some would consider some finance.
Old 11-08-2013
Noah's Bosun

Quote:
In the interest of making life complicated...
Suuuuure, that's just what I need. Wasn't expecting tne response to this project to be quite so overwhelming, but having put our a** out there to do it, we will persevere.

Can think of lots of great options, and PWM to reduce power usage is a great idea. Has a couple issues though.
1. Our background is mechanical, not EE so every iteration of circuit design is like giving birth, painful and slow.
2. "Fat Finger Syndrome" One of the primary goals is to be able to offer a DIY Kit at very low cost to reasonably competent individuals in order to allow them to assemble a FrankenBebi onboard with a minimum of hassle. The PCB we have designed is 1.4" in diameter and currently (with the integrated day/night switch) looks like this To construct the FrankenBebi without the "day/night" switch you insert a jumper wire between J1 and J2. Regardless, we are running out of room for a practical hand placed, hand soldered board, for us at the Project, or for the DIY Kit folks. Maybe in the future we can pursue your suggestions as they have merit, but at this point our goal is to get a good, simple version out for test and use.

Quote:
It seems a pity for Bebi to be lost and I wonder if the owner has any plans to continue his work, or patents on his designs.
I see that we have not mentioned it in this forum, but while we have not discussed this with Michael and Kendra (Bebe-Electronics founders) directly, we received word via a third party on another forum that they are aware of the project and have no problems with our moving forward
Quote:
Michael and Kendra are friends so I wanted to check with them about this. I just received an email back giving their blessing to your project.
They were not only good enough to give us their "blessing", they actually made some suggestions as to design issues we may face. Great stuff, and much appreciated. The Owl was a great design and product, and we only hope to be able to improve on their design, reliability and service.

Thanks to all for your input, interest, and ideas.

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 11-18-2013
Noah's Bosun

New news at the FrankenBebi Project website.

The site has been to moved to a new server which should eliminate the earlier problems we had during periods of high traffic.
We now have an official "webmaster" who has improved the look and navigation as well.

The project continues to make progress. Igor has posted the latest news and updates online, as well as sending out the new newsletter later tonight. We have also posted a schematic of the latest (ver: 0.10.3) prototype under test including the photoswitch circuit. Other additions include a white-paper on the goals and design philosophy of the project. At this point, the project is still (for the most part) on schedule to meet our goal of distributing the beta-test versions in early December and production versions in early January 2014.

Applications for Beta-Testers have now been closed. Thanks to all who applied for your time and interest.

As always, we appreciate any and all input and suggestions either here or via email. Contact info is available on the site. We are hoping with the assistance of the new webmaster to be able to integrate some type of comments section on the site to allow interested individuals to kick around additional ideas based on the FrankenBebi design. Right now, all our energy (and funds) are focused on the original goal of a replacement for the original Owl, but we have had some great suggestions for future efforts.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Cap' Couillon and the FrankenBebi Project

Onboard - Solitaire