SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dropping rudder - Grampian 28

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  YRoy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Well my wife and I finaly bought a boat, a 1975 Grampian 28. We want to get it ready for winter here in Ontario. It was pulled out of the water a few days ago by the previous owner, and the rudder is still dripping water from a crack along the bottom edge. Obviously, it is waterlogged!

Tomorrow I'd like to take it off. I could work on it through the winter so it doesn't freeze up again and get damaged more than it is.

So how exactly does one drop a rudder hung on a skeg?

BTW, this rudder like some other Grampian 28 rudders has been modified. It is deeper and wider than original. I suspect the section added on is the culprit.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Need more information! pics would help also! Tiller or wheel? Wet rudders are common. is the water coming out brown and syrup like? Then you need to worry. In the mean time drill holes in the bottom of the rudder!

#3 ·
Hi Denise,

It has a tiller. I tried to drill holes in the bottom, but things seem solid there and no water came out. The water pocket seems about a 1/4 of the way up. There is a section delaminating on the port side a few inches from the bottom. Its forming a loose shingle of fibreglass and the water seems to drip from there down to the bottom.

Grampian28pictures -

#4 ·
The strap looking thing on the lower part of the rudder should have some hidden hardware below all the paint and filler and is holding things in

You will need to carefully clear out the holes and see if the screws will come out at which point it should drop right out

In the picture I see nothing all that bad ?

#5 ·
Yes, overall the entire boat seems fairly solid. Bits and pieces I can take off and work on during the winter are higher up the to do list.

So I might pull off the rudder once other things are buttoned up for the winter. In the photo you can just barely see a dark crack(right where the shadow is). That is where the water is dripping out, and there is a large thin shingle of fiberglass delaminating above that crack.

BTW, how much might I expect that rudder to weigh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.