Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much deck over the cabin do I remove?

You'll find plenty of threads online about how to sound out the deck with a rubber or plastic hammer (or two fingers) to find out how far the rot goes. Or you can drill a small 1/4" hole every 4" out, checkerboard style, until you come to dry wood. Don't be surprised if the wet area is much bigger than you expected.

Whether to cut from above or below is a whole other issue. If you cut from below, you have to hold the repair "UP" without getting too much epoxy in your hair while it dries. Then you can cover it with a new overhead. But if you cut from above, I'd suggest that's easier to rebuild since gravity is on your side, and you can apply a new non-skid material over the repaired area to hide the repairs. Which should be less work than installing a new overhead in the cabin.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think I would start thinking look for seams. You might take off a much bigger piece than necessary but if there is a natural seam, perhaps along the seam of the non-skid or something like that, so you better hide the seam. Keep in mind as you do your work the value of the boat. Don't go overboard as far as cosmetics goes as you will see little increase in the value of the boat. Take lots of pictures too so you can show prospective buyers that you did it right. If you can't find a natural seam, perhaps you can make one, covering it with something like Kiwi Grip instead as it is thick and textured and will hide a multitude of sins.

If it is plywood, you may have to do the whole deck, as water tends to weep along the layers. Search some of the threads here as well I believe tommays had some good photos of his work, and his boat looks really good afterwards so he has some good advice.
Old 10-23-2013

Mr. Chef is on a distinguished road

I have a 23 second video which is challenging me on the upload. It's coming.
Attached Thumbnails
How much deck over the cabin do I remove?-image.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You'll find plenty of threads online about how to sound out the deck with a rubber or plastic hammer (or two fingers) to find out how far the rot goes.....
I'm no expert on this subject, but my understanding is that sounding can identify delamination, but not wetness which requires the proper use of a meter. Wetness un-attended to can lead to further delamination, so a repair should deal with both.
Old 10-23-2013

I know its wet because when I cut off the pedestal, there is standing water there, right up to the surface. Despite leaving it exposed to the fine weather over the past 2 weeks, it has not dried or receeded one tenth of a fraction. Still right full!.
Old 10-23-2013

Here are a few still shots.
Attached Thumbnails
How much deck over the cabin do I remove?-culinary-2013-041.jpg   How much deck over the cabin do I remove?-culinary-2013-026.jpg   How much deck over the cabin do I remove?-culinary-2013-025.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm afraid to say that would be one nasty job to try from the top. How much deck is involved will not be possible to diagnose from pics. In fact, you're unlikely to really know until you start surgery. If you remove the top deck, you'll have to accommodate the pre-formed non-skid in the repair. Impossible, IMO, to get right.

Unfortunately, I think the only option is to start removing deck from underneath until you get back to dry core. Not fun. Really not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This looks really nasty.. hard to believe now that the entire cabintop deck isn't saturated, big job...

SF is correct, of course, that delamination (found by the tap test) is not an indication of wetness... it's possible to get dry delam, but less likely that you'd find wet without associated delamination. So there's likely some correlation between the two if things are already wet..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think Faster is right. That's going to be a lot of wet. I've pulled my punch on saying this a few times, but it could be a boat threatening amount. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-23-2013

Thank you all for the input and advice. I will keep you apprised as I move forward.