SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How much deck over the cabin do I remove? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104701-how-much-deck-over-cabin-do-i-remove.html)

Mr. Chef 10-14-2013 08:41 AM

How much deck over the cabin do I remove?

I cut off one of the posts that hold the handrail on my Gramp26 since it was already cracked and I was sure let in water. It certainly did! the interior, where sits the plywood, is full of water. So apparently I need to remove a healthy portion of the top layer and replace the ply, then reseat the decking layer. This is all on top of the cabin. I intend to remove all the small posts (formed as part of the exterior) that hold the rails and make it all flat, making handrails that have the holds scooped out and install matching rails inside the cabin roof. I will post pics when I finally get to 10 posts and am cleared to.
Thanks

Minnewaska 10-14-2013 11:05 AM

Re: How much deck over the cabin do I remove?

Sorry to hear about the core penetration. If I follow you correctly, I would access the core from inside the boat. It's much easier to hide the repair.

Faster 10-14-2013 11:17 AM

Pictures will help a lot.. you're there now (post count) .. probably best to use a site like Photobucket.com rather than attach pics via the SN option. Pictures will be bigger, clearer and show up full size in your post. Be sure to use the IMG CODE linking option.

Though much harder to work at, leaving the outer skin intact and trying to do the job from inside will leave a much better looking result... btw plywood is not the best option here, water easily migrates horizontally in plywood, properly installed balsa core would be better, along with some foam coring materials.

Mr. Chef 10-14-2013 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15958
Interesting idea. I will look into that option

Mr. Chef 10-14-2013 11:25 AM

As you can see, maybe, this is the furthest astern post I removed of 5 on each side. They all are cracked do varying degrees. The screws holding the dowel hand rail all have caulking on the threads, telling me the previous owner just squirted into the screw hole and replaced the screw. Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't want to cut out big sections of roof. Right now I am in the gathering info mode. You guys are very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Faster 10-14-2013 11:34 AM

OK these look like molded F/G pedestals that supported a dowel/tubular handrail.. not the usual style, and very difficult to replicate.. The coring looks very wet, the difficulty will be in determining how far it's extended. Have you done a 'tap test' around the area? That won't determine the dampness but will give you an idea how far any delamination has progressed.. a related issue.

Tap the deck with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle somewhere central where no water has likely gotten to.. the hard 'tap' sound there is your control... as you tap towards the wet spots you'll hear a duller thud as you move over separated layers. You can map it out with a pencil to get an idea of the extent. Excessive delamination is a good sign of how far things have gone (at least)

tommays 10-14-2013 01:16 PM

Well

It takes some time BUT you need to fully explore the options BEFORE committing to top or bottom core repair

Keep in mind no matter how wet it is right now ONCE you remove ONE skin the deck will become a floppy mess that will bend if a heavy bird lands on the boat

I favor bottom BUT it was also how the Cal 29 was built (very little inner skin)

I see your outdoors in Maine so the weather is already NOT in your favor

YRoy 10-14-2013 03:47 PM

I have a Grampian 28 with the same situation. I'm also thinking of removing the little pedestals.

I'm not really inclined to work from the inside. It is more awkward! I'd much prefer to work on a deck so expoxy resin and such is more controlable.

Faster 10-14-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YRoy (Post 1104533)
I have a Grampian 28 with the same situation. I'm also thinking of removing the little pedestals.

I'm not really inclined to work from the inside. It is more awkward! I'd much prefer to work on a deck so expoxy resin and such is more controlable.

Certainly it's easier to manage the recore, and reskinning with gravity as your helper rather than the opposite, but then the issue is attaining a 'factory finish' so that it doesn't look like a patch job ever after. It can be done but takes some skill and patience and the right equipment. Personally I'd probably do the rough work and hire an autobody person to fill and fair, just making sure they don't use regular bondo but rather an epoxy based fairing compound.

Cutting off those pedestal means you could go to the more traditional wooden rails or SS ones like those available from WM or Garhauer once the cabin top is faired and painted.

YRoy 10-14-2013 04:15 PM

Faster, yes that is the debate... I like working fiberglass and epoxy, and I tend to be on the fussy side when it comes to cleaning up the asthetics of a repair. Now for someone who doesn't like playing with tempermental self-hardening goo it might be better from the inside.

Mr. Chef, do you have before photos of your deck? I would love to see one.