Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stumble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road
Relocating Main Sheet Mount

I currently have a '77 Laguna Windrose 22. The main sheet is rigged about three quarters the way down the boom and the lower end is designed to hook up at the front of the cockpit near the entrance below deck(within about 10"). I am thinking of installing a new sheet mounting point or traveler on or slightly above the transom and attaching to the rear of the mast.

Question is---Is this doable, or should I stick with the original rigging design for any specific reason? I have no idea as to what types of stresses this will put on the boom, or if any at all.

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Relocating Main Sheet Mount

the laguna 22 was rigged two different ways. one is the way you have it and the other was with a block at each corner of the transom and the block at the end of the boom. the problem with a traveler is that it would have to be above the tiller or mounted on the seats in front of the tiller. the boom can handle either position without a problem. the end boom position puts the least stress on the boom.
Old 10-15-2013
Singlehander by Default

Thanks OB--
That's kind of what I figured the answer was going to be. Not sure I like the idea of adding a third block into the mix though. I have some welding skills and thought about building a bridge type mount that would allow the traveler to run over the tiller, kind of like a through-transom style tiller. Haven't worked out the details as yet since I wanted to get some more opinions on the subject before throwing a whole lot of effort into it.

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 10-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Also on a tiller steered boat a traveler/mainsheet aft of the helm is an awkward reach. With the controls fwd of the helm, it's a natural right hand on tiller, left for sheet or vice versa depending on the tack you're on.

You could go to an aft mainsheet setup but still lead the business end forward for easy reach, but if your purpose is to open up access to the companionway that's not going to help...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-15-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The downside to bridging the traveler over the tiller is that you won't be able to lift the tiller out of the way when at anchor. There is also a strength issue, travelers can carry significant loads, which requires pretty beefy backing plates (most of the force is pulling up), the longer this unsupported beam is, the stronger the supports have to be. It's doable, but it may be easier to just add a quick disconnect to the main sheet block to move it out of the way while not underway.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
...... but it may be easier to just add a quick disconnect to the main sheet block to move it out of the way while not underway.
This is what we've done.. it completely clears the cockpit when we're moored or at anchor, we clip the sheet to whichever is the outboard toerail. Our traveler is at the end of our rather long bridgedeck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-16-2013
Singlehander by Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The downside to bridging the traveler over the tiller is that you won't be able to lift the tiller out of the way when at anchor. There is also a strength issue, travelers can carry significant loads, which requires pretty beefy backing plates (most of the force is pulling up), the longer this unsupported beam is, the stronger the supports have to be. It's doable, but it may be easier to just add a quick disconnect to the main sheet block to move it out of the way while not underway.
Thanks for the feedback Stumble, but I have a question. Being new to actually having a boat large enough to anchore out overnight, I do not undestand the need to remove the tiller at anchor. I may be a little slow, but could you enlighten me please.

Visit my blog--

Old 10-16-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I doubt you would need to remove the tiller, but most people will lift the tiller out of the way while relaxing after getting where you are going.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
nighthawk (10-17-2013)
Old 10-21-2013
Singlehander by Default

Yeah, relaxing! I gotta look into that a little more! I hear some people actually enjoy it!

Visit my blog--