SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

DIY Helm seat ? Any Ideas.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gladrags1 
#1 ·
Any great DIY projects with photos on making the captain set comfortable at the helm without having to sit on the teak corner all day?

I have looked at some closed cell type fome but no way to lock it down?

On my C&C30 MK1 there is very little room between the stern rail and the wheel. Has anybody came up with a "DIY" project to address this problem.

Thanks for your imput.
Capt. Curt

#2 · (Edited)
We bought a specially made and sized cushion from Bottomsiders. It provides the boost needed to see over the helm. My wife is going to make out of sunbrella a seat "holder" that will snap to the hard bench along the transom. The seat holder will have a lip that extends along the bottom left and right edge as well as around the front. The lip's job is to hold the cushion in place. There will be a back to the seat holder that will snap to the back of the transom on the inside and act as a seat back. I may have her pad it slightly for comfort. There will be a strap made out of webbing on the seat holder that extends from the top back edge of the cushion to the bottom forward edge of the cushion, positioned diagonally to keep the cushion in place and steady. We haven't yet gotten around to the construction phase but I am very confident it will do the job.

Tod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.