Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Well it's been a while, but then it's winter outside.

I took advantage of the record setting warm weather just before Xmas and pulled the port side upper and aft lower chain plates. Despite having a large volume of water tucked away in the air gaps and hollows there was not a single spec of corrosion or de-lamination of the glass.
In short, other than having water under and around the embedded plates there was no safety reason to pull them, the plates were fine and the glass was fine.

I put a 50 grit sanding disk on my grinder and sanded the entire newly exposed bulkhelds down to mostly flat and smooth in just under two hours total time for both sides. 13, 500 rpm does wonders that a conventional oscillating sander just can not do. Half inch thick ridges of fiberglass just powder away in seconds.

That's the bad part, the powder doesn't just float out over the side of the boat. I have a 1/4 of dust everywhere that now needs cleaning up despite the vaccuum and walls of plastic meant to contain it.
I took a couple cell phone pics after a rough clean up but they are blurry as heck (so was I, it had been a full 8 hours of grinding, contorting and pulling/bashing. I crunched two finger tips when a previously stubborn plate gave way to a mighty pull.

Here's the only blurry one worth looking at - followed by what it looked like before sanding it down.

Before sanding/grinding
jimgo likes this.
Old 01-03-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

You're a hard worker, Chuck.
I think it's really good that you're doing this. Think of the damage that those pockets of water can do, with the recent plunge in temperatures.

17F degrees today, and we might see single digits on Monday. I was shocked at the amount of water these pockets hold, so it's entirely possible for them to swell and cause damage.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
You're a hard worker, Chuck.
I think it's really good that you're doing this. Think of the damage that those pockets of water can do, with the recent plunge in temperatures.

17F degrees today, and we might see single digits on Monday. I was shocked at the amount of water these pockets hold, so it's entirely possible for them to swell and cause damage.
I think that's the likely cause of the gel coat spider web like cracking I was seeing (what started this journey off). The amount of water observed coming out after the first slice of fiberglass is roughly analogous to the severity of the cracking.

For those keeping track, I've pulled four plates, originally I was going to pull 5. I've decided based on evidence in hand that I'm not going to pull the backstay at this point.
The backstay and the two forward chain plates will instead have a weep hole engineered in (drilled, with a method to drain and inspect). I might get to them later. They present there own special problems based on location.

For example my backstay is offset to port of center, right where you climb up the stern ladder so it's in your face as you make the transition from the inverted cliff hang to flat deck. They offset it because the push pit stanchion is in the center. Poor design. When the time comes to replace it I will center it and move the gate not the whole balance of the boat.
Old 01-03-2014
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Amazing progress Chuck! I think I'd still be procrastinating on that nasty work, but you're well on your way.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Amazing progress Chuck! I think I'd still be procrastinating on that nasty work, but you're well on your way.
Once the stick came down I couldn't/can't afford to procrastinate - I've got until late April to make it a sail boat again.

For my next trick watch me slap West system 105/406 and some filler into all the holes and then plaster some glass.

The hard part will be to make a raised landing that comes up/out precisely enough to support the new plate - but not enough to angle it too much, and it has to be flat and even or it won't distribute the load evenly.
Oh yeah, and I have to do it four times.
Old 01-06-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Wrap your new chainplates in packing tape and have them ready to go. Slather the thickened epoxy on the appropriate hull surface and slip the chains into place - they will custom form the exact shape of mounting base they want. Once the epoxy kicks you can remove the chains, peel off the tape and mount them permanently.

Another option is to wrap them in tape and mount them lightly in their final position - then trowel thickened epoxy in behind them. After it kicks and you remove the chains you can go back over the formed "landing" and touch up any voids with more thickened epoxy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2014

Thanks Jon, I was actually thinking I could wax my plates on the back and then they would not stick.
Old 01-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

If you go with wax, wax them all over, several times, not just on the "mating surface".

It's a messy job and the epoxy gets everywhere.

The tape seals things up well and releases well.
StormBay likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-28-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road

The simplest way to replace chain plates and the one that avoids most problems has been mentioned several times. Through bolt the chain plates on the outside of the hull, little modification has to be done to the toe rail. The easiest way to do this is to bold through the existing chain plates... this does not have to be done blind, it can in fact be done exactly. Furthermore it does not matter significantly if the old chain plates have rusted or not. The old chain plates will be used as backing plates and provide far more than adequate compression even if they are have cracking or crevice corrosion. The bolts are combined with compression of the plates are what provides the massive strength. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to replace the backing plates with anything new. Remember compression is the key. I have seen many replaced with external plates and they look beautiful (to my eye) Crevice corrosion is the problem with glassed in plates as there is no O2 in there, I would never re-glass them in.
Old 01-28-2014
Senior Moment Member

In this case, due to the heavy cap rail and rubbing strake, that would NOT be the easiest or simplest method. It would require either complex bending & shaping of the chains or a lot of work cutting slots in the noted trim.

Bolting them to the inside of the hull in their original positions avoids all that. It does involve a lot of ugly cleanup work of the old glass though.
christian.hess likes this.