Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Chaos View Post
3. The glassed in chain plate is oxygen starved, this combined with moisture is what allows galvanic corrosion to occur on the plate.
They don't suffer from galvanic in that situation, they get crevice corrosion - a completely different process.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road
Woops yes crevice corrosion... Ty

Sloop Jon -Exactly so why would anyone want to reglass a new set into the hull, you're just setting the next owner up for the same mess.

Last edited by Faster; 01-30-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sloop Jon -Exactly so why would anyone want to reglass a new set into the hull, you're just setting the next owner up for the same mess.
Usually it's the cheapest way to go, often by a lot.

There is a legitimate debate about internal vs external chainplates,personally I don't see any advantage to external since they just change where the corrosion occurs. But let's table this for a moment.

The real answer is one of two options.

1) move to non-penetrating chainplates. This is becoming more common on new boats and is very welcome. Basically a metal ring is glassed into place and the turnbuckle attaches directly to that ring. No need for deck penetrations at all, not only eliminating the chainplate problem but also two holes in the deck.

2) switch to titanium instead of stainless. This is also being done more and more, and is a much better option for retrofit boats. The upside is that once replaced it is a permanent fix. They will never need to be replaced or even inspected in the future absent physical damage (someone hits it with a sledge hammer). The downside is they are a little more expensive than stainless, figure about 25% more for the parts.

This is an example of 1)
Attached Thumbnails
Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement-image.jpg  
mitiempo likes this.

Last edited by Stumble; 01-29-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
You've got me. If you read back through this thread you'll see that I am totally against the process - new or rebuild. In fact I am against ANY sort of metal being buried in glass - chains, floors, deck fasteners - you name it.

If one is replacing some chains done that way, as the OP is, I think they should go back in the same place they came out of, but bolted through the hull. Moving them to the outside does provide a slight benefit by putting the fasteners in compression instead of tension but since they are primarily in shear, that theoretical benefit does not begin to offset all the other negative aspects of the move.

Clean up the old glass and remount the new chains in the same old place with bolts through the hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
Total Chaos (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Moving them to the outside does provide a slight benefit by putting the fasteners in compression instead of tension but since they are primarily in shear, that theoretical benefit does not begin to offset all the other negative aspects of the move.
It also increases the lever arm relative to the bolt attachment points, which increases the torque on the bolt head.
Old 01-30-2014

When you bolt through the hull, are you placing a backing plate on the outside of the hull then? The head of the bolt is on the outside of the hull with the nut inside?
Old 01-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

I've never seen a backing plate used on the outside in that situation.

Remember, the primary force on a chainplate is UP, which puts the fasteners in shear, so a backing plate is of limited usefulness. Building up the hull laminate in the localized area would be more effective.
mitiempo likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
Total Chaos (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014

Well I tell ya this has certainly given me food for thought. We are going to replace our chain plates this year and I was dead set on moving them to the outside of the hull and through bolting, I have seen it done on several 65's and I don't dislike the look. I have to say though I am going to re-consider my options. I may well go with the external plates, but I am looking hard at the idea of bolting through new plates from the inside. I will have a lot of interior work to do as a result of this anyway. Why this wasn't done when the deck/ hull joint was bolted and reinforced during refit I will never know.

THANK YOU!!, to all the posters, none the least of which the OP. I can't say that I am to exited about this project, but it must be done.
Old 01-31-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

The new plates will be in the exact same positions and angles as the old plates. Through bolted and not glassed in.
I've worked out various redesigns on the interior to make it so they can be inspected without tearing out the side walls/joinery again.

At some point, maybe, just maybe there will need to be external backing plates on the hull. My riggers tell me no, I'm not so sure.
The primary reason I went for internal vs external was the cost - electro plated plates are x5 the cost - and not having to get a NA involved regarding angles of the plates, as well as not mucking up the (to me) rather lovely teak cap rail I JUST finished rehabbing and varnishing (down to bare wood and built back up).
Faster and davidpm like this.
Total Chaos (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

BTW, I love the discussion on this.