Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
The quickest and easiest way to create the landing you need is to wrap the chains in packing tape, put a thick bed of thickened epoxy down where they will mount and put the chains in place.

Clean up the squeeze out and wait for the epoxy to kick. Then remove the chains, peel off the packing tape and you're ready to remount them.
I agree, I'm getting the plates first week of March to do just that.
Old 03-08-2014

Aquarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I was surprised to see the "bare" bolt heads too. Perhaps there is a different kind of bolt that will be used, with a head similar to a carriage bolt?
Our Vagabond has embedded plates with carriage-like bolts with no plates on the outer hull. Our bolts, however, have a slot - for a really big screw driver.

She has survived this setup for 30 years without any gelcoat damage. She also is due for a chainplates reveal.

Thanks huge for this thread.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014

flo617 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure everyone will say it's a horrible idea but how about leaving the old chain plate in and bolt a new set through the old ones after cutting the stem that goes through the deck?

That way there is no need for the extensive surgery to take them out. One can grind slightly oversized holes through them and fill the area with epoxy before redrilling through for the bolts.

Wouldn't that work if the core of the chain plate is not completely compromised in compression?
Old 03-08-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Might make it a little easier but it's what the British call a "lash up".

Here we call it quick & dirty.

A big, expensive boat should have something as important as chainplates done properly - it's no place to be cutting corners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-08-2014

Aquarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
I'm sure everyone will say it's a horrible idea but how about leaving the old chain plate in and bolt a new set through the old ones after cutting the stem that goes through the deck?

That way there is no need for the extensive surgery to take them out. One can grind slightly oversized holes through them and fill the area with epoxy before redrilling through for the bolts.

Wouldn't that work if the core of the chain plate is not completely compromised in compression?
I don't think it is a bad idea at all, and I have seen it done well - on a Pan Oceanic. I met the owners several years after they made the change. They loved the set up - citing peace of mind in finally being able to inspect the plates as a huge factor. I believe that the change they made gave them stronger and safer chainplates. I also know that the original plates were accessed and assessed to insure future integrity, the rails were capped and sealed permanently, and adjustments were made to allow for drainage and drying of the original plates/spaces. and that the change was conceived and completed by a boat builder and engineer. I know this because I was working for the company that did the job.

I worked for this shipwright company in the Caribbean for a couple of years - one of the jobs I did was a chainplate conversion. I think that your location can affect your opinion in this situation. The warmer the water/weather, the greater the corrosion and clingy critter count, the more likely you are to approve of copper bottom paint, to forgo water cooled refrigeration, and to desire the ability to visually inspect your chainplates. We recently bought a resto boat from MD USA. The locals there thought quite differently from the folks we met and worked with in el Carib - and they were also correct. Perspective changes with geography.

It may very well be that the designers of these old tubs had no idea how much we would fall in love with them and to what lengths we would go to keep them afloat 30, 40, 50 years later. Had they known, they might have chosen a different design. According to the riggers I worked with, chainplates can often be moved safely outboard, but I would not do it without consulting a rigger. Changing angles on the rigging changes stress loads/points.

Last edited by Aquarian; 03-08-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2014

edakira is on a distinguished road

ChucklesR,

I have an 89 Irwin CC38 and am both amazed and depressed by your detailed documentation as you move thru this process. I'd love any current info you're gathering re pix and updates, and also wondering about access to the forward port/stbd plates? Mine (like yours probably?) are buried behind the v-berth bulkhead and seem extremely difficult to access from inside. And also, now that you're on the hard, the bow/bobstay plate down at the waterline? This thread has been extremely informative for me, thanks so much, and hoping you are progressing and soon back in the water.
Old 04-28-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Hey Edakira,

Here's a pic of the 'hole's' fiberglassed over, ready for new plates to be installed.
It just so happens that today is the day the rigging company is measuring and fitting for where to drill the holes; they want to both space them out visually nice and be strong enough.

The forward lowers are indeed hard to get to. I'm not pulling them based on the condition of the four plates I did pull. Instead I'm going to drill a drain hole at the bottom of them, check the water out etc.. and make that a routine check.

The bobstay/dolphin striker plate is also fine, just rebedded. Aft stay is going to get a drain hole and inspection also. At some point I might do the forward lowers and aft stay simply by drilling through in place and bolting them similar to the new plates.

My interpretation of causal factors is: improperly maintained bedding of the chain plates allowed water to ingress into the cavities caused by less than stellar fiberglass embedding (lots of air gap). That water was pretty much in flow, i.e. not stagnant/oxygen depleted so the stainless was never compromised.
SloopJonB and jimgo like this.
Old 04-28-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Chuck!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2014

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, but you could leave the old chainplates where they are and rig new chainplates to the outside of the hull, or in the interior. Once you disconnect the shrouds from the chainplates, the old chainplates can stay where they are unless you are dead set on replicating the exact setup you currently have.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-28-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Read the whole thread.
christian.hess likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.