Got my choppers and grinders out.
For the gear heads, I'm using a Dremel 4000, a Chicago Electric pro multi tool, a Dewalt right angle grinder, hammers, pry bar (okay, screw driver) and what ever else I grab.
The dremel, with a carbide coated cut wheel slices the resin heavy FG like hot butter, scores the stainless plates and - with a flexible attachment - is probably the best and most accurate tool.
The CE multitool with both a straight and semi-round metal/wood cutting blade is almost as fast as the Dremel, much heavier and not as precise. It's a cleaner less dust producing cut.
The grinder is for cutting the stainless, faster than anything in FG too - but in about 5 seconds of oops can cut right through the hull if you are using a thin cutter. It will likely get the nod to do the heavy grinding and shaping.
I cut out 1/2 of one plate, starting with the multitool. That produced a little over 2 cups of water (fresh). Yep, it's all wet back there.
'back there' you ask?
The chain plate, both vertical and horizontal parts, never actually touch the hull. There is an air gap the entire length and width with the exception of a single previously unknown thin vertical bar at the very bottom. That bar is firmly and completely bonded to the hull.
The rest - covered on three sides, and pristine on all the bits and pieces I've gotten out.
Here's the pic's - you can see the gap between the plate and the hull, and the buried horizontal bar (Just a bit in one pic). The bar in the 2 pics is the same one - both sides.
Sorry about the focus, cell phone camera and all that.
The bottom 't' - aft lower:
Out of focus, but you can see the 'air gap'.
You can see I've cut away some to expose the 'new' bottom bar, I've also cut off the left side horizontal at this point.
What was the left horizontal cross bar - this is the side that was covered in fiberglass (the shine is from the dremel cutting it out).
Here's the flip side - factory finish.
In case you are wondering...