Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

As mentioned previously, I would replace them the same way they were and get 30 more years.

you start reinventing the design and who knows what you might end up with. Are you getting a naval architect to approve the structural changes? If not, what will insur man have to say?

Do you know if the hull adjacent is cored or solid glass?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Xort,

Naval Architect? No, just a couple smucks I met at the Marriott during the boat show. We didn't even draw it up on a napkin or anything but I think I heard most of what they said over the ambient noise.

Here's a picture of the culprits - but the furry faced one with the most opinions was actually holding the camera:

I don't have a picture of the "later that night at Jeff_H's" because you kept drifting off to inspect the inside of your eyelids.

Honestly, if Maine Sail and Jeff_H say 'maybe' a couple times doesn't that equal a NA's considered judgement?
jrd22 and davidpm like this.
Old 10-19-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Knees don't need to be built in a way that requires a twist. This photo isn't mine (and isn't a Pearson 28-2), but closely resembles how they are done on my boat:

The knees don't need to be that deep if space is a concern. They only need to come in far enough for you to get a wrench around the back side of them.

Edit: one thing that isn't clear from this photo is how you access the back of the chainplate. On my Pearson there are cutouts in the knees to access the nuts on the backside. I'll take photos when I'm next at my boat (likely this afternoon).
On those knees there are 3/8" thick 316L SS drilled & tapped backing plates inside the knee. The knees are sealed from above with the deck flange so no water can get into them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Got my choppers and grinders out.

For the gear heads, I'm using a Dremel 4000, a Chicago Electric pro multi tool, a Dewalt right angle grinder, hammers, pry bar (okay, screw driver) and what ever else I grab.

The dremel, with a carbide coated cut wheel slices the resin heavy FG like hot butter, scores the stainless plates and - with a flexible attachment - is probably the best and most accurate tool.

The CE multitool with both a straight and semi-round metal/wood cutting blade is almost as fast as the Dremel, much heavier and not as precise. It's a cleaner less dust producing cut.

The grinder is for cutting the stainless, faster than anything in FG too - but in about 5 seconds of oops can cut right through the hull if you are using a thin cutter. It will likely get the nod to do the heavy grinding and shaping.

I cut out 1/2 of one plate, starting with the multitool. That produced a little over 2 cups of water (fresh). Yep, it's all wet back there.
'back there' you ask?
The chain plate, both vertical and horizontal parts, never actually touch the hull. There is an air gap the entire length and width with the exception of a single previously unknown thin vertical bar at the very bottom. That bar is firmly and completely bonded to the hull.
The rest - covered on three sides, and pristine on all the bits and pieces I've gotten out.

Here's the pic's - you can see the gap between the plate and the hull, and the buried horizontal bar (Just a bit in one pic). The bar in the 2 pics is the same one - both sides.

Sorry about the focus, cell phone camera and all that.
The bottom 't' - aft lower:

Out of focus, but you can see the 'air gap'.

You can see I've cut away some to expose the 'new' bottom bar, I've also cut off the left side horizontal at this point.

What was the left horizontal cross bar - this is the side that was covered in fiberglass (the shine is from the dremel cutting it out).

Here's the flip side - factory finish.

In case you are wondering...
Old 10-19-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Had no doubt you would do it right, look forward to seeing the progress!
Old 10-19-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Tool selection = excellent. I assume you already have the vacuum.
Also the tent was pretty smart. I also assume you look like a space creature in the Tyvek and breathing masks?

The bad stuff is starting to show, and as you grind you'll start planning the way you'll be putting it back together.

Best of luck and we'll be here waiting for the "dust to settle" and keeping up with progress.
Old 10-19-2013

endoit is on a distinguished road

Looks like a major undertaking. I am your neighbor from across the river in the Bristol 35.5. I have a Fein tool set with some of the cutting tips that maybe helpfull. If you need to borrow it you are welcome to it.
MMR, jimgo and Resolute_ZS like this.
Old 10-20-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Xort,

Naval Architect? No, just a couple smucks I met at the Marriott during the boat show. We didn't even draw it up on a napkin or anything but I think I heard most of what they said over the ambient noise.

Here's a picture of the culprits - but the furry faced one with the most opinions was actually holding the camera:

I don't have a picture of the "later that night at Jeff_H's" because you kept drifting off to inspect the inside of your eyelids.

Honestly, if Maine Sail and Jeff_H say 'maybe' a couple times doesn't that equal a NA's considered judgement?
My point is that it doesn't matter what you or I think of them, what will the insur co think of you making structural mods to the boat? Might not matter, but worth considering.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
My point is that it doesn't matter what you or I think of them, what will the insur co think of you making structural mods to the boat? Might not matter, but worth considering.
The insurance company wouldn't know - because the surveyor wouldn't know.

Based on my previous experience with survey's I'd have to say that a change would simply not be noticed.
I any case it's not likely as I am currently seriously doubting I'll find any problems at all - and therefore just replace as is.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoit View Post
Looks like a major undertaking. I am your neighbor from across the river in the Bristol 35.5. I have a Fein tool set with some of the cutting tips that maybe helpfull. If you need to borrow it you are welcome to it.
Thanks Andy. I went out and got all new blades. I'm trying not to get paralyzed by the size of the job. While holding a big picture in my head I'm just taking it one step at a time.
I'm getting hauled at Ferry Point 11/11, I suspect most of the work will be done there. I've been dinghy deprived all season (muskrats ate mine); swing over if you get a chance.

I noticed you didn't get out much this year - or at least I didn't see your boat gone much. Did you ever do the lesson's for the admiral?