SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

boat joinery book question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
anyone read Boat Joinery and Cabinet Making Simplified by Bingham? worth buying for someone with basic woodworking skills looking to redo part of a boat interior?

Pretty mixed reviews at Amazon.

#2 ·
I have it, great book. lots of "filler" pages about tool, lumber, the actual techniques he explains are worth learning. "stick and tick" is a cool trick.

#4 ·
Agree with Denise.. it's on my bookshelf too.

#6 ·
Boz,
Nothing.. nothing, is more fun then being a boat shop volunteer! Years ago I spent allot of time at Phila seaport museum's "workshop on the water" Even my son was there a few times with me. One time. he and I were charged with cutting up a draft of teak lumber (5ft x 4ft wide there about) and holly into.. yes.. 3 X 3/8 rough strips, and holly into I think 3/8" (like nothing but sticks breaking all over the place. (never ever will I work with holly again)

Boz, I'm quite sure you could get some real boat building experience at St Michaels Maritime Museum! I can't resist boat shops. I used to seek them out when I used to go on trips up the to Maine. Still have yet to visit the Herreshoff Museum in RI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.