SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Type IV Throwable talk

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  tempest 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have the required TYPE IV throwable on board... a seat cushion with handles. I know, bare minimum. One step at a time and now it's time to upgrage. I see the horshoe, the ring, the all in one pouch kit... different strokes for different folks. I get that. I'm leaning toward a ring myself. My question is: horshoe or ring... is it a stand alone throw device? Is there line attached to it? Should there be line attached to it? If no, do you have a seperate heaving line and float near by?

Dave

#2 ·
I've heard arguments both for and against attaching a line to a Type IV. Some say that you'll be able to retrieve it easier if you miss the MOB, some say they don't want to risk having the line caught in a prop.

For the second argument, I would think using polypro line would prevent that.

#3 ·
So the ideal situation is to have something to throw, or several things (the more the better), as a good debris field makes any MOB easier to locate. But they shouldn't be tied to the boat.

Then when you have successfully returned to the MOB, it's good to have something with a line attached. I favour the Lifesling, as that can be used to hoist a disabled MOB if necessary.

So in my cockpit I have a couple of those throwable seat cushions, an old-fashioned horseshoe on the stern, and my helm cushion - and in an MOB the whole lot is getting thrown! Then I have a Lifesling for recovery.

#10 ·
Exactly.

The problem with rings is that not everyone fits.

The problem with a rope is that when the person first goes, you will not stop the boat fast enough and the ring/horse shoe will never reach them.

The advantage of a Life Sling type unit is that it gives you a means to get them on-board. Test that system, as ded weight can be REALLY hard to lift if the skipper is the one to go over.

Sail Delmarva: MOB Drills, Lifesling, and Climbing Equipment

-----

No, this is not "different strokes, this is what works and what does not.

#4 ·
My opinion is that the helmsperson should be usually sitting on a type IV cushion, should there be a MOB, the cushion follows immediately. Definitely no line tied to the cushion, I guess I dont see any value with such, just reasons why not.

Standing, then unclipping and releasing a ring/horseshoe on the stern will likely mean a boat length or two difference in the release.

#6 ·
I would go with the ring, not as easy to slip out of, harder to get into. Main thing is to keep the MOB a float???? I think a line is a safety thing, maybe faster to get the MOB back aboard? I think I heard someplace that Canada does not allow the 'Horseshoe' s as a Type IV????? .02

#7 ·
I have two...a simple ring and a Lifesling. The ring does not have a line attached, if I don't get the boat stopped quickly I don't want to drag flotation away from the MOB. I can use the Lifesling, if needed, to restrieve the MOB.

#9 ·
I have a throwable cushion, a horseshoe ring, and a LifeSling.

The cushion and horseshoe go into the water. Deploy the LifeSling and drive circles around the MOB until they snag it (if they are alert and able).

I keep a spare vang assembly onboard for hoisting injured people.
Attach the vang to an available halyard and hoist the MOB onboard. You can also run the tail of the halyard through a jib car to a primary winch to hoist them aboard.

The LifeSling has a polyproylene line, which should keep it out of the prop.

I have actually practiced the "injured" MOB recovery using my daughters as test subjects wearing auto-inflating PFD's.

#12 · (Edited)
I Have the horseshoe with yellow poly floating line, and seat cushions. I also have a lifesling.

if I were to purchase a new Type IV it would probably be a Ring. I think it's heavier and easier to toss to get it closer to the MOB.

The Floating line does not get attached to the boat..we're not fishing and retrieving.

The idea of the line is that the swimmer can use the line to retrieve the throwable device..the hope is that either the line or the device will float by close enough to them that they can grab one or the other. Both the line and the horseshoe or ring go in the water..untethered to the boat.

Of course, as Mark said the idea is to litter the water with floating aids, so toss everything you can.

We had some guys who saved themselve last year with their cooler after the boat sank. If you toss the cooler over...just remember to remove the beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.