SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Norseman terminal threads?

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  christian.hess 
#1 ·
Hi guys, been checking my rigging lately(new to me boat)

I have a newer forestay with upper and lower norseman connection...upper is good just some light surface rust...

however my lower norseman which is a threaded stud has more threads exposed...

I have not taken it apart for fear of not being able to reinstall without a new cone which I cannot source quickly...

is it normal for 4-5 threads to be exposed on the male part of the fitting and is it possible to dissassemble check condition and rethread all the way in without damage

according to navtec norseman you can do this...I have loctite, lube and everything else but the cone needed.

sorry I do not have a pic...yet. I also have norsemans on my uppers and intermediate stays...they however are completely seated.

I have researched and stalok can have 2-3 threads showing and that is fine, however every where I search about norseman I cant find a definitive answer on wether threads showing is ok.

I think maybe its that the rigger or p.owner did not cut the wire correctly and left too long over the cone...not allowing the male thread to seat completely but enough to work so far.

thoughts?

thanks in advance:)
christian

See less See more
#3 ·
thats my fear...Im ordering some other stays but shipping is killer down here to el salvador

my other fear is maybe the rigger seized the threads and the male part can fully seat.

as I understand however norsemans you can check anytime right?

thanks much!

#6 ·
I believe you can check them any time http://www.americanriggingsupply.com/Navtec_Norseman.pdf

In my case I was replacing a lower shroud on a mizzen that had a bent lower stud. I was doing work for some one else. Who ever installed the rig previously had done a bad job and a lot of the shrouds were either too long or too short. The incorrectly installed fitting was on the upper end. The owner of the boat opted to simply switch out the whole wire for new as I was already replacing a bunch of others at that time. Had we kept the wire and it was the right length, I would have cut away the extra at the top and replaced the cone.

#9 ·
checked them as well as most rigging places and they all show how to assemble them, none show how they look on the exterrior when fully seated or finally torqued down...I guess thats my issue

I guess in reality I know the answer and that is that the threaded parts should be completely seated...so It looks like I have to at least take it apart to inspect

thanks

#8 ·
thanks that sounds only sensible...order new cones and redo at least the lower terminal

much appreciated

anybody else with similar issues Id be happy to hear from you

christian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.