SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Remote Monitoring System for my sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104831-remote-monitoring-system-my-sailboat.html)

EvelynL 10-17-2013 10:21 PM

Remote Monitoring System for my sailboat

Looking for a Remote Monitoring System for my 43' Sailboat... Looking for a system that can report some of these items on an hourly basis or daily basis while I am 5 hours Drive away from it=
Bilge and water level
Tank levels
Temperature (high and low)
Smoke and fire
Intrusion, security and motion
Power and battery level
Gas leaks
Humidity
Location and movement (GPS)
Equipment start and stop

What Product DO YOU use out there while you are away from your boat long term, and she is still in the water? I want to know what products WORK and which ones are just gimmicks.

Thanks in advance for the Help and advice... :cool:

Bene505 10-18-2013 12:03 AM

Re: Remote Monitoring System for my sailboat

I get an email whever there is motion on the boat or the bilge pump goes on. I can configure it to send me an email if the shore power gets disconnected.

I "caught" the marina manager on board when he was preparing to launch the boat this past spring.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...one-how-2.html

Regards,
Brad

Minnewaska 10-18-2013 05:54 AM

Holy smokes, Evelyn. That's a lot of monitoring. Are you sure you really need all that? A low tech solution is to just hire a local boat manager to check on her routinely. Being so far away, you may also want someone to coordinate local resources too. Unfortunately, its usually the squeaky wheels that get greased, so they can really help.

irmedic 10-18-2013 09:40 AM

This is a great project a guy put up a few years ago. He linked in a pile of stuff, and it came out pretty cheap.

WiFi Boat Monitor

saillessinseattle 10-18-2013 11:18 AM

keep it simple?

I had a similar list but then I started to prioritize after I couldn't find anything reasonable. My marina does not have wifi. So I looked for cellular based systems, which work best for power loss anyway. There are no real security issues there so I focused on potential boat damage, freezing, water intrusion, power loss (which also detects if somebody takes the boat for a ride, and I can track it with marinetraffic.com). I settled on a UPS, with a water leak+power+temperature home sitter, and a cellular to phone jack gateway. It will cost me about $150+$10/month, all from Amazon and AT&T or T-mobile. I can let you know if it works well.

azguy 10-18-2013 11:25 AM

I would think the easiest would be simple security camera that you can watch on the web, some even have sound capabilities...

When I owned my retail store I had them everywhere and could watch the store, the employees and the customers from my I-phone..

EvelynL 10-18-2013 11:33 AM

Yeah--- I wanted to see what all was out there on the market... Not sure what I will end up with-- but wanted to know what options were available to make "parting" with my boat more bearable... Sorry-- hate leaving her to work in the City... but not at Retirement age yet... :( So-- maybe virtually-- I can check on her-- and avoid any mishaps by being gone. I have TRUST issues with someone else looking after things. Here is a Quote I live by= "Rasin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues"... ;)

EvelynL 10-18-2013 11:54 AM

FYI--- this Marina does NOT have Wi-Fi at all... So, I am considering what CELL options I would have setting up a system like this... When they get WiFi in the next 2-years-- I can modify this system to accomodate as long at the bandwidth can sustain the requirements of whatever system I choose... Still searching for answers from people WHO HAVE this set up already...

Delta-T 10-18-2013 01:30 PM

Do you have phone service or cable?

Delta-T 10-18-2013 01:47 PM

$250 at Harbor Freight for a 4 camera severance system with night vision and 500 gb storage of 4 channel recording. You can set each cam to record on motion or all the time. System is net workable, plug and play. You can log into the system see real time and recordings. Put one cam on the thermostat for temp. Will also sent txt and email upon motion. Now for internet access, you can get 3 or 4G internet access. I think I saw that T-Mobil has unlimited data plan. You will need a PC or laptop on board to work as server between the cams and net.